My new PC and Doom 3

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Revenants who shoot rockets make me cry :D

Yeah, it's kind of tough to dodge their rockets but I sort of figured it out. For them the Plasma Rifle is the best.

I still haven't firgured out how to dodge that tentacle whip from those commandos. The only way I could not get hit was if I lucky got a shotgun blast to their head as they ran towards me which didn't happen very often. The tentacle follows you as you strafe, it's a biatch.

anyways

if money isn't an issue

what are the best of the best stats on a system to run DOOM 3

hella good like on the website movies

i'd like to know *nod*

Go to www.hardocp.com and see their Doom 3 Dream Machine. Off the top of my head I can remember it having an Athlon 64 FX 53 and the latest NVIDIA graphics card (the 6800 Ultra).

But the NVIDIA only seems to do best in Doom 3, it gets it's ass kicked in Half Life 2. It's all politics so it's tough to decide which graphics card is the best.

The game is intense. I'm still waiting for those Linux binaries (hurry it up with that demo, id).

In the meantime, I hooked a spare Win2K hard drive up to my PC. 2xAthlon MP 1800+ with 768 MB RAM and a GeForce 5700 Ultra 128. Runs very well after some tweaks.

The Imps are a lot more formidable in this game. It's generally a bad idea to use a pistol vs. them.

Plasma Rifle > Revenants.

Chainsaw == suicidal 0wnage. Works great against pinky. I really love the way pinkies look in this game. great overhaul.

The lighting in this game continues to pwn me. I spent a whole ten minutes shooting a flashlight that someone left lying on a floor, just to watch shadows dance.

OK, time for the tweaks!

Look at the properties for your doom 3 shortcut. add +disconnect to the end of the line. it should look something like

"C:\..doom3.exe" +disconnect

What this does is skips the intro video.

More good tricks! look in Doom3\base\ and open the Default.cfg (that's nto the actual name of the file, but I can't remember it off the top of my head. google around on all this stuff and verify it.)

Changing the setting "seta image_cachemegs" to a much higher value (I've got mine set to 256) can result in an increased framerate, and make it easier for you to play on the High detail setting.

There's two lines to add to the bind section that can map showfps on/off to F10/F11 (or whatever you choose).

I liked enabling the player shadow. look through the file, you''ll see the option set to 0. set it to 1 and enjoy some added realism.

just google for Doom3 tweaks if you haven't already.

http://www.tweakguides.com/Doom3_1.html

http://www.forumplanet.com/planetdoom/topi...tid=1438663&p=1

By far the best guide:

http://ucguides.savagehelp.com/Doom3/Doom3Guide.htm

All taken from planetdoom.com

What people also say is uncompressing one of the pk4 files makes the game load faster. I warn you, these files uncompressed at least 4 GB big, so only do it if you have the harddrive space(i'm saying like 10+),

WOW, just got the game, and what can I say except my trousers are brown!

There's nothing worse than walking in a pitch-black area armed only with a flashlight and then an Imp appears. :P