[8/17/04] MDK

Game Name: MDK

Systems: Playstation, PC

Emulators: Epsxe

Genre: 3rd Person Shooter

----------------------------------------------

testmain.gif

MDK is a 3rd person shooter that allows you to control Kurt in a stealth-sniper suit. He is released to destroy aliens that want to destroy Earth. Along the way, Kurt gains access to a variety of sniper bullets and different explosives such as the smallest nuclear bomb. Each door opens to a next level so Kurt has to use his wits to get to each level.

test8.gif

This is one of the first games I ever played on the psx, and I loved it instantly. Unfortunately, it broke down within a year so it bring backs memories playing it again. The graphics were pretty good but a bit choppy during gameplay or during level changes. It can get annoying when a alien suicide bomber starts to run at you and it freezes up a bit. Otherwise, theres not much default.

test9.gif

Kurt gets to use a variety of weapons in this game. His standard gun is of course the machine gun. Its the only primary gun he can use. There is a graphical hud that shows shield and life points. It also shows how much life points the enemy has still. Along the way, you can pick up explosives and other useful items that can help you in your quest to destroy the alien menace. The world smallest nuclear explosion is used to destroy enemies and blow up doors that need it. Mr decoy is used to distract enemy units while you blast them to bits. Each weapon needs to be used wisely though cause you can get stuck in a level if you use the item wrong.

test10.gif

The nice thing about this game is the sniper mode. This probably is one of the first game for psx that uses headshots and scopes. You can zoom in and out with the sniper mode of the stealth suit. Also, you can pick up useful items to use with the sniper mode. For example, you can use mortars, homing bullets, explosive grenades, etc. You can't move as well if you are in sniper mode, but it is more effective than the machine gun of course.

Whats good about this game is that it doesn't kill you at once. The first level is actually a tutorial that helps you learn Kurt's controls a bit and the weapons he uses. Of course you have to figure out some stuff on your own but at least the enemies don't kill you as you're trying out the sniper mode for the very first time. There is also a parachute function with the stealth suit that allows you to glide across the levels and stuff like that.

The sound I can't really say is too good. The music is dramatic and nice for the game, but the sounds itself gets annoying. Its called shooting an enemy with the same machine gun sound for 20 seconds is boring. The voices are okay but the alien grunts' voice gets annoying and repitious at times. Also, if you're stuck and don't know it, the game can get boring fast. The game gets diffcult as it progresses because you start to spend more and more time as it goes on. Otherwise, this is a pretty good game.

Gameplay: 9

Sound: 8

Graphics: 7

Speed: 9

Controls: 8.5 (Needs time to get used to)

Overall Grade: 8.3 (:)

I give this game a :(

I've only played the PC version but I love it. The sequel was also very good.

So many reviews these past few days...I'm uploading the pictures for my Doom III review which I will post after dinner. :(

nice review.. this is the first time, myself witnessing previous MDK installments, the first MDK game I saw, was MDK3 on the dreamcast :D perhaps, you should review the series while yer at it :D

nice review.. this is the first time, myself witnessing previous MDK installments, the first MDK game I saw, was MDK3 on the dreamcast :D perhaps, you should review the series while yer at it :D

Dah I don thave the equipment to play the whole series :D

nice review.. this is the first time, myself witnessing previous MDK installments, the first MDK game I saw, was MDK3 on the dreamcast :rolleyes: perhaps, you should review the series while yer at it :)

Don't you mean MDK2 or was there a 3 as well?

nice review.. this is the first time, myself witnessing previous MDK installments, the first MDK game I saw, was MDK3 on the dreamcast :P perhaps, you should review the series while yer at it :)

Don't you mean MDK2 or was there a 3 as well?

I think he meant mdk2

It was prolly a typo