Doom 3 requirements problem

Hi everybody. My brother was just playing Doom 3 at his work and he said it barely worked. Second of all, that computer was 3.5 ghz, and had a 128 bit ATI radeon card. I'm getting that game on monday and I'm starting to have second thoughts. What if it doesn't work on my computer. It's a 2.8ghz computer with 512mb ram, and has a Geforce 5200 128 bit card. ;)

I don't know man, my computer is pretty top of the line, not the best, but I know that new games should work with ease on this one. It's stupid if I have to turn down the graphics or upgrade my computer cuz it hasn't been long since I bought my computer.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're computer is not top of the line (because top of the line means best ;)). Judging from your specs, medium detail should work fine for you. You can try high setting to see how it runs.

The game looks fantastic even on Low settings so don't sweat it. Whatever you do, don't turn off the advanced settings like lighting and bump-mapping because it really ruins the experience.

Go to http://www.hardocp.com and check out the Official Doom III Hardware Guide.

Hi everybody. My brother was just playing Doom 3 at his work and he said it barely worked. Second of all, that computer was 3.5 ghz, and had a 128 bit ATI radeon card. I'm getting that game on monday and I'm starting to have second thoughts. What if it doesn't work on my computer. It's a 2.8ghz computer with 512mb ram, and has a Geforce 5200 128 bit card.  ;) 

I don't know man, my computer is pretty top of the line, not the best, but I know that new games should work with ease on this one. It's stupid if I have to turn down the graphics or upgrade my computer cuz it hasn't been long since I bought my computer.

Can't you borrow your brother's copy and test it first? I would test it indefinitely if I were you and use the $$$ saved for my rent :P

Yes, don't worry your computer will run it fine, and it sounds like your brother's computer needs some tweaking if thats the results he is getting.

For all the hype over requirements, it is quite a good engine, capable of performing on alot of different types of PCs. Id always seems to do this, though.

Yeah, if he had problems on a beast like that, he is probably running year-old drivers or he has a system-tray that's twice his screen long with running adware programs.

I'm running a system much like yours, except I think my graphics card is a little older - P4 2.8C, 512MB RAM, GeForce4 Ti4600. The game runs perfectly fine on my system in 1024x resolution and medium detail. All the advanced graphics features are turned on, and I can even do 1x anti-ailiasing without noticeable slowdown. I could probably go further without much hassle but frankly, I'm more than satisfied with the way it looks as it is. All this without any special tweaking. I just made sure I had the latest drivers and I keep my system tray at the bare minimum (virus prog(s), instant messenger, mabye a download prog).

Don't worry, my system is similar to yours:

3 ghz P4

512mb RAM

Geforce FX 5600xt 128mb

I use latest official nvidia drivers, set performance to 'high performance', turned vsync off. I run the game on high settings with all the fancy effects turned on in 800x600 and it runs really smooth.

To get best performance it might be a good idea to first defrag, then install doom and before playing it closing all running processes your pc doesn't need to play the game.

I have a crappy computer:

P4 1.8 ghz

Nvidia GeForce FX 5600 Ultra 128 mb

Windows XP Pro

512 mb RAM

I run it at a solid 30 FPS:

Quality: High

Anti-Aliasing: 2x

Rez: 800x600

Everything on and all is well in my life. I was playing on Ultra Quality for a couple hours, I don't mind the occasional drop in frame rate when doors open. But when a Hell Knight comes on screen, that pisses me off. So I have the setting where they are right now with no slowdown. Have fun and remember, even crappy computers can triumph if you take care of them.