PS3 to use Blue-Ray Discs!

After much speculation, Sony has confirmed that the PlayStation 3 will use Blue-Ray discs as the game medium. The PS3 disc drive will have read only support for Blue-Ray discs.

Blue-Ray discs can hold up to 25GB per layer of recording, over five times that of a DVD.

Thanks to MagicBox...

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least it's finally confirmed. Anyone remember that thread where we discussed the Blue-Ray technology? (a really long time ago)

Edited by Agozer

pfffftt!!

what they needa do is stop using cheap parts and add some more ram

I Feel The Same, Adn AS For T he Blu-ray, Damn I Can't Be lieve They Are Actrually Gonna Use Them, And If Mr.G Is Right ABout Only Using About 10Gb Max. WHAT A WASTe OF DISK SPACE! And A|How Long Will You Think It'll Take To Be Able To Pirate Some Games, In The Normal Man's Home?

pfffftt!!

I Feel The Same, Adn AS For T he Blu-ray, Damn I Can't Be lieve They Are Actrually Gonna Use Them, And If Mr.G Is Right ABout Only Using About 10Gb Max. WHAT A WASTe OF DISK SPACE! And A|How Long Will You Think It'll Take To Be Able To Pirate Some Games, In The Normal Man's Home?

I was exaggerating and being sarcastic about the 10 gb. But I wouldn't be surprised if no one uses that disk space to its max capacity.

pfffftt!!

I was exaggerating and being sarcastic about the 10 gb. But I wouldn't be surprised if no one uses that disk space to its max capacity.

actually, the blue rays are 25 gigs

I'm guessing 9gb will be the game and the rest will be encryption :unsure:

Dont worry, it will be a matter of time before developers use up all that space of the blu-ray discs (look at the PS2 launch games, how many of them were on a DVD? Only 1, Kessen i think. And even still, how many double-disc PS2 games are there out there?). This will greatly eliminate the need for more than 1 disc which is always a plus :unsure: