Update on that Linux thing

nezumi

Haven't had time to write it. Been busy and I'm currently surrounded by boxes and computer parts as I prepare to move approx. 75 miles to the northeast, a busy little area called Savannah, Georgia.

I've got a lot of ideas for the format and the flow floating around in my head, so expect it to be nice once I get started. I'll try to write 5 chapters before I begin posting it on my little site (notice the WWW button down there). After that, I'll aim for a chapter a week.

Concernign the WWW button, I'm ironing out problems with the current design and there's no links at all on that page. That should change as soon as I get all settled in. Don't expect a pleasant visit if you use that steamy mound of crap that is Internet Exploder. I'm designing the site with standards in mind, using PNGs, and even that needs some ironing out right now (I haven't touched it in a month. :P I'm kinda shocked, myself... I supposedly love web design.)

Actually I was waiting on it a few weeks back when I really got into a Linux mood. I downloaded Knoppix and VMware and messed around with it. Then I lost interest because I had no clue what I was doing. :P

I ended up installing slackware and I don't understand a great portion of it. But I got a guide, a friend of mine who is a slackware user and helps me out. I'll still give your faq a read over though once it's out.

I'm still looking forward to it as well.

Does everything still run on Linux?  It's supposed to be really compatible or something, right?

Patience Gryph, patience.

LK, you can normally find a Linux equivalent to whatever you usually do with Windows, and projects like WineX are there for the times when you can't.

I ran into a problem lately though... some morons calling themselves Volt convinced me that travelling 80 miles a day to replace hard drives in some DELLs was a good idea, and they'd pay me to do it. Well, their timecard is some stupid Excel spreadsheet with auto-calculating fields. It's not very big, but it comes in at a whopping 101KBytes (no joke). There's something up with this thing that keeps it from opening in OpenOffice.org, which is odd, because I've seen OO.o perform most mathematical things that Excel does. Anyways, rather than send me a decent timecard in a non-proprietary format, they insisted I simply e-mail my hours to them. Oh, and the 80 miles a day travel, in a vehicle that gets 12 MPG at a time when gas is costing me $1.80? That's at my cost... they only cover travel expenses from site A to site B. Bastards. Simply put, I'm not taking any more contract offers from them until they can prove to me that they can get their shyte together.

UT2K4 had a linux installer on the CD/DVD, and there's going to be a Linux installer released online for Doom3 shortly after the retail release. What exactly id means by "shortly" I don't know, but they delivered on Quake 3, so I'll believe'em for Doom3.

Any other questions may have to wait a while. I figure I'll post a rough outline right here, right now.

i. Preface

1. Preparing to Install

2. Installing

3. The Setup

4. Know These Commands!! (thy terminal be thy friend)

5. Add Your Non-root account(s)

6. X Windows (Time to Point and Click)

7. Getting to know your Filesystem

8. The WWW (AKA pr0n-get)

9. I Want my P2P

10. The Dirt on DVDs

11. Some cool tricks.

12. Linux to Go (SSH is teh r0x0r)

13. Filling the Void (Acquiring new apps and programs, and installing them)

14. Stay frosty! (Keeping your software up-to-date and secure)

15. Filling more Voids (Flak Monkey!)

This is pretty rough, but expect a flow similar to this.

nice to hear that, i didn`t go to pick my dvd drive yet so my computer is down at the moment, form the distros i could use by now, i like slackware, i had great expectations towards red hat an dfedora but somehow ended up in an annoying experience, i may be wrong with it is too limited,ok it is easy but if i wanted sth easy i would have bought a mac