The DS's Offical name

Wizard

too lazy to think about it i'll just wait till they both comes out and see which 1 have better and cheaper games

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Full media capability?  You're joking...so it plays DVDs and crap?

HANDHELDS DON'T PLAY DVDS!

CONSOLES SHOULDN'T PLAY DVDS!

It makes them smaller...when they don't do so much extra crap.  It makes them less expensive...when the don't do so much extra crap.

Consoles these days need the DVD player anyway for their media, and the cost of the software/decoding hardware for movies is practically nil anymore. There's no reason for consoles not to have DVD playback, and it wins over a lot of those people who are "teetering on the line" about buying into video gaming.

As for handhelds, the PSP does not have "DVD" playback, per se. It uses Sony's new UMD media, which are much smaller (they look about the size of mini-discs, maybe gamecube disks) and so not a factor in the size of the machine. These new disks will be able to hold (supposedly) dvd-quality movies and many will be released in this format.

You might argue that this capability will make the system more expensive, and it might initially. But, as the capability pays for itself in UMD format movie sales, this portion of the markup on the system will probably go away rather quickly.

I like the PSP. Bigger screen and better graphics without the awful concept.

And I like the game licenses more (Dynasty Warriors, Metal Gear, and a few others that I can't remember.)

It's actually 3 companies with the PSP, since Sammy, Konami and EA own almost all of the companies developing for PSP.

Full media capability?  You're joking...so it plays DVDs and crap?

HANDHELDS DON'T PLAY DVDS!

CONSOLES SHOULDN'T PLAY DVDS!

It makes them smaller...when they don't do so much extra crap.  It makes them less expensive...when the don't do so much extra crap.

Consoles these days need the DVD player anyway for their media, and the cost of the software/decoding hardware for movies is practically nil anymore. There's no reason for consoles not to have DVD playback, and it wins over a lot of those people who are "teetering on the line" about buying into video gaming.

As for handhelds, the PSP does not have "DVD" playback, per se. It uses Sony's new UMD media, which are much smaller (they look about the size of mini-discs, maybe gamecube disks) and so not a factor in the size of the machine. These new disks will be able to hold (supposedly) dvd-quality movies and many will be released in this format.

You might argue that this capability will make the system more expensive, and it might initially. But, as the capability pays for itself in UMD format movie sales, this portion of the markup on the system will probably go away rather quickly.

Hmm...if you say so.

They both look good, very good. I wonder what the case or container of the PSP will look like...it must be sexy too.

That's a good point. Considering the number of scratched non-SP GBAs I saw coming into my store, screen-safety is going to be a big issue if there isn't some kind of slipcover for the PSP.

The PSP definitely looks sexier - the only thing is it had better come with (or at least have an optional) case because I'd be freaked out to carry one of them in my pocket unprotected.

Also, Gryph asked if there was anything new for the gc coming out. This is a good question - I notice that there are currently no advertised plans by nintendo to build a new console to measure up to the nextbox and ps3 - could it be that nintendo have given up on the consoles, and are now focusing on handheld systems instead?

No, they're working on the NINTENDO REVOLUTION. Which ever maybe, it will own.

Well, I've compiled a list of EVERY DS game announced.

Nintendo

Animal Crossing DS

Mario Kart DS

Metroid Prime: Hunters

Nintendogs

PictoChat

Super Mario 64x4

Super Mario Bros. DS

WarioWare Inc. DS

Zelda Four Swords DS

Activision

Spider-Man 2

Atari

(One title in development)

Bandai

Dragonball Z

One Piece

Mobile Suit Gundam Seed

Banpresto

Dragonball Z

Capcom

Gyakutensaiban (aka Reversal of Judgment)

MegaMan Battle Network

Viewtiful Joe

Trouballs

Electronic Arts

Need for Speed

The Urbz: Sims in the City

Madden NFL 2005

From Software

(multiple titles in development)

Hudson

Bomberman

(multiple titles in development)

Koei

Dynasty Warriors

Konami

Frogger 2005

Yu-Gi-Oh!: Nightmare Troubador

Silent Hill

Castlevania

Majesco

Namco

Mr. Driller

Pac-Pix

Pac 'n Roll

Unnamed RPG

Sega

Project Rub

Sonic DS (tentative title)

Phantasy Star Online

Super Monkey Ball

Puyo Puyo.

Chu Chu Rocket

Square Enix

Dragon Quest Monsters

Egg Monster Heroes

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles

THQ

SpongeBob SquarePants DS

Tecmo

Monster Rancher

Team Ninja game (name has not been released)

Ubisoft

Rayman

VU Games

MezCo Studios

Cerulean Dreams

Altus Co.

Shin Megami Tensai

Snowboard Kids

Kadukehouse

The Game of the Life

ChoroQ

"Software companies worldwide have more than 120 Nintendo DS games in development. Nintendo alone is developing more than 20 titles, and in excess of 100 companies have signed on to create games for the new system. The company is expected to announce the launch date, price, and game line-up in the near future."

Source: http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/534/534070p1.html