How to Mod my X-Box?

DanManXZ

3 options:

1) Chip it ($30-$50, depending on the chip) - Choose a chip, buy it, open up your box and void the warranty, align the chip, place it on the board, add a screw and you're done. (XBox modchips these days come with a solderless adaptor that uses the debug bios port ms left behind). Must turn off chip to go on xblive, or you can use xbconnect and not worry.

2) Softmod it (get someone else to do it for you, $$ to them, or get an action replay and mechassault and I can tell you how to do it yourself) - copy savefile from memory card to xbox, run mechassault, select special savefile, ftp into xbox and copy files. Must disable mod to go on xblive, or you can use xbconnect and not worry.

3) Partial softmod (works on all xboxes) - same mechassault / save hack except with a full bios loader and dash setup. After this mod is applied, your xbox is still like a normal xbox but to get to your emulators or games you have to put in mechassault and select the savefile. If you want on xblive, dont start up the mod dashboard through mechassault.

You can also buy a replacement harddrive ($50+) if you want to have pirated xbox or ps1 games on there, but it is not necessary.

Choose one.

3 options:

1) Chip it ($30-$50, depending on the chip) - Choose a chip, buy it, open up your box and void the warranty, align the chip, place it on the board, add a screw and you're done.  (XBox modchips these days come with a solderless adaptor that uses the debug bios port ms left behind). Must turn off chip to go on xblive, or you can use xbconnect and not worry.

2) Softmod it (get someone else to do it for you, $$ to them, or get an action replay and mechassault and I can tell you how to do it yourself) - copy savefile from memory card to xbox, run mechassault, select special savefile, ftp into xbox and copy files.  Must disable mod to go on xblive, or you can use xbconnect and not worry.

3) Partial softmod (works on all xboxes) - same mechassault / save hack except with a full bios loader and dash setup.  After this mod is applied, your xbox is still like a normal xbox but to get to your emulators or games you have to put in mechassault and  select the savefile.  If you want on xblive, dont start up the mod dashboard through mechassault.

You can also buy a replacement harddrive ($50+) if you want to have pirated xbox or ps1 games on there, but it is not necessary.

Choose one.

Do softmods work on all xboxes?

EDIT: Why do both of the softmods sound like the same? What are the differences?

Edited by DanManXZ

You don't have to spend that much on a mod chip. You should consider the Aladdin chip, the cheapest Xbox chip that works on all versions. Buy from robotpig.com. They are based in Asia and are the cheapest I've found - $10 for the Aladdin. Fast shipping, too, considering it's from across the world (took 1 week exactly for my last order).

You do have to solder the Aladdins, but I'd recommend getting a solderable chip even if you were getting an expensive one. From what I hear, the solderless adapters have a nasty habit of coming loose. If you've never soldered before, you can practice for a while on old circuit boards. Just break open an old digital clock or something and go to work.

If you have an older Xbox (v1.0 thru v1.2), you can get a $4 cheapmod chip. They can also work with new version Xboxes, but one of the solder points is INCREDIBLY difficult, and not recommended unless you have a hell of a lot of soldering practice.

For more info, check out xbox-scene.com.

You don't have to spend that much on a mod chip.  You should consider the Aladdin chip, the cheapest Xbox chip that works on all versions.  Buy from robotpig.com.  They are based in Asia and are the cheapest I've found - $10 for the Aladdin.  Fast shipping, too, considering it's from across the world (took 1 week exactly for my last order).

You do have to solder the Aladdins, but I'd recommend getting a solderable chip even if you were getting an expensive one.  From what I hear, the solderless adapters have a nasty habit of coming loose.  If you've never soldered before, you can practice for a while on old circuit boards.  Just break open an old digital clock or something and go to work.

If you have an older Xbox (v1.0 thru v1.2), you can get a $4 cheapmod chip.  They can also work with new version Xboxes, but one of the solder points is INCREDIBLY difficult, and not recommended unless you have a hell of a lot of soldering practice.

For more info, check out xbox-scene.com.

I dont know how to solder. I dont have the patience. I like the idea of softmodding my xbox.

Well, that problem with solderless chips "coming loose" isnt altogether true. Every xbox I have fixed that supposedly had a loose chip on it, actually turned out had a different problem. The pins on most solderless adaptors, over time, can leave dents in the solder points, and one point specifically tends to fall through. Refill that solder point and you never have a problem again.

Both of the softmods are very similar, just one replaces your default xbox dashboard altogehter, the other you can only get to with MechAssault. Course the first isnt compatible with XBLive, and the second is.

Both of the softmods are very similar, just one replaces your default xbox dashboard altogehter, the other you can only get to with MechAssault.  Course the first isnt compatible with XBLive, and the second is.

I never really thought about going online with XBlive. I like XBconnect instead.