Playstation 3 to be shown off in May...

Alpha

A monopoly is just when a company dominates a market completely.  There are few true monopolies, but there are many near monopolies like Microsoft.  There is competition but VERY little.

Sony has a near monopoly on consoles, Nintendo has a near monopoly on handhelds, and Microsoft has a near monopoly on the OS market.

The next round of console wars is going to be exciting because unlike this generation, other consoles actually have a chance.

Nintendo with their "revolution" is claiming to create something new and exciting, if it turns out to be as great as they say it could be the must get system of the next generation.  Virtual reality, or something like it could generate a lot of sales for Nintendo if they can make it affordable.

Sony has the PS3 which is claimed to be extremely powerful, though remember what they said about the PS2.  PS3 already has a massive lineup from previous consoles and a massive following that will buy a PS3 no matter what.

Microsoft has one of the greatest benefits of all by being the first console to be released.  If they make a really powerful system cheap, which they can if they take loses, it will be simply irresistible to buy.  Who wants to wait a year or so for a next gen console when they could get it soon, and cheap?

The PS3 still has an edge by it's following alone.  But with the release of the next XBox, that could lead to loss of costumers who would rather keep their next XBox than buy another console which may be hardly more powerful, and be more expensive.  The next Gamecube will then compete with the PS3 at about the same time, and if the next Gamecube is something very unique and cheap people may just buy it instead of the PS3 cutting into PS3 sales.

Even after all that, the PS3 will probably sell pretty well.  So overall it's anyones game.

umm...i think you'll find that the ps3 is likely to come out before the neXtBox

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MS could seriously back out from the 1st launch. If it is likely they will be first, then you win. From the side of things. Xbox's successor will be released in the U.S. first and while Sony's and Nintendo's in Japan. In that time period alone can cause a rukus between the new big 3. Sony had a year head start on the japanese market, which would be the target market. Not the U.S. consumers at first. A full year heads start. If MS does come out first, they'll have a big head start on the U.S. market.

Let's never trust IGN. Most of us know how much they fubar news now.

Not according to this website

http://arstechnica.com/news/posts/20040618-3905.html

and IGN.com

http://cube.ign.com/articles/523/523583p1.html?fromint=1

If you have a site saying otherwise please post it.

IF they're showing off the ps3 next may, I doubt it will take them till 2007 to release the thing.

Double post!

Yes, I find the wifi useless. But what I really want is the waffle maker.

Not according to this website

http://arstechnica.com/news/posts/20040618-3905.html

and IGN.com

http://cube.ign.com/articles/523/523583p1.html?fromint=1

If you have a site saying otherwise please post it.

IF they're showing off the ps3 next may, I doubt it will take them till 2007 to release the thing.

I don't know about the release date of PS3, I only know that Microsoft is committed to releasing their console first.

Double post!

Wifi? bah. Sony needs to get together with Ron Popeil to make a PS3 that plays games, juices, removes stains and knocks out the fat! :D

Double post!

Wifi? bah. Sony needs to get together with Ron Popeil to make a PS3 that plays games, juices, removes stains and knocks out the fat! :)

and plays the Greatest Hits of Kenny G on endless loop. :D

No seriously, I just want a gamestation + a DVD player.

Edited by Agozer