Need some answers :)

Keith

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But that doesn't authorize them to disassemble it, change it, and say its a new emulator. That can only be done with express permission from Sega saying they can do whatever they want with it. That'd be like someone changing around Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo for PC (it's abandonware) and changing some of it and calling it Alley Battler 1.

Rip offs are a whole different thing. Streets of LA didn't get GTA 3, disassemble the code, and rerelease. They started it from scratch.

But anyway, I just saw this over at the Cassini homepage: http://www.barnitos.net/cassini/inquiry.txt.

He was told to contact the Sega Legal department via snail mail. I would love to see this emulator flourish but only if done legally. I liked it when it was just called GiriGiri Hack because it didn't say it was more than it was. :lol: I still am curious about the 40% changes made to GiriGiri...

Celestria, no offense but from your comments, it doesn't seem you are well informed about what this is or what this is about.

1. There is no proof that the source was abandoned if anything the CyberDisc service has been abandoned. This doesn't mean there is no uses for the source. It is becoming more common for companies to use some sort of emulation to emulate their classic games on newer systems. Anything the Tech Support says should be taken with grain of salt and is not an official statement.

Cassini's whole legal arguement is based on assumption and nothing factual. Just because there is no answer does not give you the right to just take it and do what you want with it. This goes for anything in life.

---------------------

2. Your car example didn't mean anything. Taking a car and putting a charger in it... then changing the cars brand name and selling it as a totaly new car brand would be just like what Cassini was doing.

Of course their direction has changed, but it has been changing on a daily basis depending on how the debate goes.

Here is a history for you when it comes to Cassini.

- First released as GiriGiri Hack for Windows XP - It was considered to be the same GiriGiri hack as before but with support for Windows XP and they state it had some other fixes, but nothing anyone has noticed.

- Second it was a new release - Now it was renamed to Cassini and spread around the emulation scene labaled as a "new" "open source" staturn emulator. Not only that, it was also being labeled as the "only" open source saturn emulator. Which it was not. Cassini is not "new" and it certainly isn't "open source" by any means. It was also labeled completely legal and Cassini has always stated it was legal up until the pressure to change that was put into place.

- Now they have changed again - Now they take back that it was a new emulator and they say it is a GiriGiri hack and they also say they do not claim the work that was done already. Why they never made this clear in the first place is beyond me. They also are not releasing anything new because of the legal reasons and waiting for approval. You would think this would have been the first thing done before releasing this and having all these problems arise.

--------------------

3. You claim they built this from scratch using the GiriGiri "ideas".. I had a good laugh at this. To everyone that doesn't know already this is GiriGiri, it is not a clone of GiriGiri written from scratch.. it "is" GiriGiri.

---------------------

Now the belief going around is that infact it really is only GiriGiri hack with little work done on it and being labeled as a partially rewritten GiriGiri hack. There is nothing that proves this. All the technical question have been up for days now and we know the GiriGiri has followed this debate closely.. and still has not answered one technical question regarding this project.

The only time we do hear a response is to "flame" someone or to post about "positive" comments regarding their project. I guess they see our questions and our quest for the truth as "negetive". If anything the team is making itself look even worse when they continue to ignore all the questions being asked. Are they afraid to discuss the technical side of emulation with other developers? Another thing that was brought up is that the current team lacks the documents for emulating the Saturn, yet they have no problem rewritting 40% of the code and changing 3 "major" features. Now what they consider changing hasn't been definded.

Maybe someday Snail will come forward and defend his project and prove us all wrong.. maybe someday.

Edited by Keith

well it seems Girigiri IS copyrighted, despite all the attempts to get round and say it isnt <_< the guys from cassini team posted this on their site

Dear Mr. Barnito,

Thank you for your email.

All copyrights are held by SEGA Japan. You can request permission by contacting them by writing to:

SEGA Corporation.

1-2-12 Haneda

Ohta-ku

Tokyo 144-8531

Japan

Best regards

Thomas Taudien

Original link HERE

Well, this is finally solved. Everybody can go back to whatever they were doing before this Cassini debate broke out. <_>

That is, unless the Cassini Team can get permission.

Edited by Agozer

It's not solved yet. It'll be finally be concluded once Barnito gets a snail mail reply from Sega of Japan legal department.

It's solved enough for me anyways....Whether or not the Cassini Team gets approval.