Need some answers :)

Keith

Let me just start off by saying i'm not in any way trying to address the legal or ethical considerations in regards to the Cassini project; everybody has already argued that into the ground. This post is to make one point. Many people seem to want to characterize Snail as a "script kiddie" and call Cassini a "blantant hack." I would just like to say that disassembling and reverse engineering code is no easy feat. Many people want to refute "40% claim." Regardless of whether you believe the 40% figure or not, i doubt many people here know how insanely difficult it is to rewrite 1% of 14.9MB.EXE's disassembled code; 1% would be about 1500 lines of code, for which you have no comments, no names for variables, and generally no idea of what's going on. I would like to challenge anyone to pick your favorite 15MB executable, disassemble it, and tell me how your feel after you reach for 50th FAR JUMP. I have written video games in pure ASM, and consider myself to be a moderately talented ASM programmer, and i know first hand that making sense of a disassembly of that size is a gargantuan undertaking. Not to mention all the sync issues one encounters when providing interrupt handling for a different architecture.

Legal and ethical issues aside, i would challenge everybody that has had an opinion of Snail's coding to try to accomplish a similar task; you may find yourself humbled.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic