Need some answers :)

Keith

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have taken it upon myself to reply to your original e-mail that was passed around from the tech support. I used the same Support Ticket number with your original e-mail message attached to verify the information. I also explained the situation about the copyrights being broken and the illegal use being done.

This is the reply I got back.

Thank you for e-mailing Sega Technical Support.

I forwarded your e-mail to my corporate office.

Sincerely,

-Sandi

Sega of America Technical Support

So hopefully something will come from this with it either being labeled legal or illegal.

Me too, we want to continue this project... Not be shot down in the middle of it. If they ask us to stop the project, we will have no choice but to comply. Also until we get a response, we will not be releasing updates, however the current downloads will remain available... even if it is on just 2 mirrors :D oh well... I do appologise to Keith and anyone else involved for my hot headedness, everyone involved in this debate got out of hand...

Barnito

yes, I code. I'm a coder, just not at that calibure. Just because these guys deassymbled something and added 40% of new code to it, does that mean their real coders? Yes, in their own way.

My main problem is that 40% claim. I propose that is simply not true - backup of that claim would win my partial support.

Guest FLaRe85
Rommaster,Jul 15 2004, 05:49 PM] We are trying to confirm legality......

Return-Path: <webmaster@barnitos.net>; Thu, 15 Jul 2004 13:35:32 -0400 (EDT)

Message-ID: <20040715173531.64140.qmail@web60708.mail.yahoo.com>

Received: from [66.24.236.19] by mail.yahoo.com via HTTP; Thu, 15 Jul 2004 10:35:31 PDT

Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 10:35:31 -0700 (PDT)

To: webmaster@sega.co.jp

Cc: webmaster@barnitos.net, sega-location@soj.sega.co.jp,

legal@soj.sega.co.jp, segapr@segaamerica.com, legal@segaamerica.com,

info@segahelp.com, webmaster@sega-europe.com,

segamaga@soj.sega.co.jp, okunoh@soj.sega.co.jp,

ishizawan@soj.sega.co.jp, hisadah@soj.sega.co.jp,

otsukih@soj.sega.co.jp

MIME-Version: 1.0

Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="0-1631606260-1089912931=:61374"

Content-Length: 1489

--0-1631606260-1089912931=:61374

Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii

To whom it may concern,

I am interested in the legal rights that Sega Enterprises holds on the GiriGiri Saturn Emulator Project. Considering it being a dropped commercial product, the recent takeover of Sega, and complete lack of it as a commercial emulator, we were wondering if in fact it is legal or not to reverse engineer it as a free emulator project. We would also like to inquire as to whether we might request a Source Code for it. After all sega has no use for it anymore, and the emulation community would love to get their hands on it and work to make it run 100% of Saturn games. Please keep in mind we in no way want to profit from this, we just want to keep the Saturn Emulation scene alive. We have been having legal debates with emulation sites all over the net, all of whom are claiming this emulator illegal. We understand the burden of proof is on us, and we absolutely don't want to continue this without a definitive answer to the question of it's legality. Please forward this to the SOJ legal department, as our project depends on a definitive yes or no answer as to whether we can continue legally.

Sincerely Yours,

James R Barnito,

webmaster@barnitos.net

www.barnitos.net

Cassini Emulator Project -  Reverse Engineering the Girigiri Emulator by Shinya Miyamoto and the Girigiri Team

http://www.barnitos.net/cassini/

NOTE: We do not advocate piracy. The emulator is intended to play legal backups of games people already own...

---------------------------------

It was probably not a good idea to include a url to your site in that email. It might just be me, but it seems a little contradicting that you say "NOTE: We do not advocate piracy. The emulator is intended to play legal backups of games people already own..." in the email, yet that banner and your homepage advertise illegal rom images. :huh:

also I noticed this on the updated Cassini page.

Also there has been talk that we lied and took credit for the original Girgiri Teams hard work. This is absolutely not true, if you read the HISTORY the truth has been there all along, we are not liars, and we don't take credit for others work.

I don't think they were referering to the original GiriGiri Teams work, but they were talking about the US frontend and loader that included several tools that was created for the hacked GiriGiri.

This is what people want to know. From that point where the US Frontend and Loader were created.. What has the Cassini team done since the US frontend and loader were created, what was the 40% work since the US frontend and loader were created, was the only work done to the frontend or was there any changes to the core, if there was changes to the core what were they, what are the 3 major changes done since the US frontend and loader were created?

That is what people are comparing Cassini with when they say they see no major changes when comparing the two. I understand it is in the History, but some technical answers would be really great if you are looking to swing support your way. People say it is just a renamed and repacked hack with minor frontend changes of the original GiriGiri hack.. what do you think about this?

Edited by Keith

I shall provide these in a simple form for the cassini team to respond.

1. What changes have been made since you aquired GiriGiri (in reasonable detail eg Changes Log)?

2. Are you going to attempt to get the original source off sega (if they allow you to continue) to make your life easier?

3. What are the TRUE facts about this emulator and your work? 40% changed doesnt seem plausable, compressing the exe does not constitute as an update.

i think thats pretty much all the questions people wish to know the answer for.