microsoft taking on sony..?

The main reason the Xbox didn't sell well in Japan was because it was big, about the size of Japan it self. No doubt about it.  The president of Xbox's Japanese Division said so him self.

Ahahaha, that's great!

Supposedly, cellphones about the size of credit cards are pretty common over there. They probably think the XBox looks about ten years old. :D

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL, Japanese want their things to be small since most of them live in a very small and cramped apartment :D

And about M$ fans are rabid, I think we can find a few example in our fellow members here :D

XBox is appealing to the US and Europe but it will never succeed in Japan.

As XBox continues to gain popularity, US and European companies will make more games for it, resulting in more of the type of games they have now, shooters, mech games, driving, sports, flying, GTA like games, etc. The RPGs will be more like Baldur's Gate, or Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, very dark with real time battles.

Microsoft also has the money to buy developers. They probably will make deals for new GTA games to first appear on their system.

Because of the early next-gen XBox release, it can capture the US and European market before Sony.

The PS2, which most people have, is very old. The next XBox will appear to be almost 2 generations above it. Good graphics, mature, dark games, XBox will become the "cool system" instead of Playstation and this will really appeal to the mainstream casual gamers where image means everything.

Microsoft can also make it cheap by taking loses. The next XBox is rumored to have Tivo like capabilities, so that will be very very appealing if it's true.

PS3 and the next Gamecbue will stay mainly in Japan due to their quirky, bright Japanese games.

Of course, the console market isn't everything. The handheld market is about as big and Microsoft has yet to try to claim it... but that's a different story.

Making fun of the BillBox is my speciality.

It's so big, it can be a planet.

Hey, mine too. I think it could be converted to a portable oven with minimal effort.

Jeffkong: And the Playstation doesn't have mature, dark games? To be quite honest, hell will freeze over before I'll buy a Bill-BOX....I'd rather get a GameCube instead.

...maybe I'm just different than most Europeans.

Edited by Agozer

if more japanese games are sold in da US i think more people won't buy X-box

Hey, mine too. I think it could be converted to a portable oven with minimal effort.

Jeffkong: And the Playstation doesn't have mature, dark games? To be quite honest, hell will freeze over before I'll buy a Bill-BOX....I'd rather get a GameCube instead.

The Playstation has many mature, dark games. I never said it didn't.

I said the XBox is devoted more to the types of games US and European gamers tend to buy, so it may succeed in those places.

Sony has many different types of games, but their next system isn't coming out for a year after the next XBox. If Microsoft can create the image, as Sony has, as the "cool system" they will be popular and dominate the US/European market before PS3's release. With their mature games, and their new looking graphics it won't be hard. Most casual gamers aren't going to wait until PS3 when they can get a system that looks almost 2 generations above it right then.

This domination will also lead to much Third Party support, also Microsoft has more than enough money to buy exclusive developers.

I don't think Japanese gamers will care much, because the types of games that dominate the XBox don't appeal to them. Also the XBox is foreign that also has a lot to do with it.

The Playstation has many mature, dark games. I never said it didn't.

I said the XBox is devoted more to the types of games US and European gamers tend to buy, so it may succeed in those places.

Sony has many different types of games, but their next system isn't coming out for a year after the next XBox. If Microsoft can create the image, as Sony has, as the "cool system" they will be popular and dominate the US/European market before PS3's release. With their mature games, and their new looking graphics it won't be hard. Most casual gamers aren't going to wait until PS3 when they can get a system that looks almost 2 generations above it right then.

This domination will also lead to much Third Party support, also Microsoft has more than enough money to buy exclusive developers.

I don't think Japanese gamers will care much, because the types of games that dominate the XBox don't appeal to them. Also the XBox is foreign that also has a lot to do with it.

And yet, with all that, Microsoft is still the devil.

Some certain devs have ranted oh much they've hated the PS2 for coding & developing onto it (Great Example: The guy who leads Team Ninja, the guys who make the DoA games).

Although the demographic for the PS2 is aimed at 18 to 35 market. SomeMost don't even buy it for the games. They'll pick up maybe 2 games and the rest would be DVD movies. My PS2 is rendered useless to me until I get SF3. And I refuse to get a new one.