Installing drivers and stuff in linux

alexis

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ugenn, do you like Gentoo? Is it easy for n00bs to get into?

I used to use Gentoo. It's a sourced based distribution that lets you build the system from source using an automated packaging system (portage). Kind of life Linux From Scratch but automated. It's extremely flexible as you get to choose and customize exactly what packages and optimizations you want. But it takes a long time to install (literally hours...days on really old machines / slow networks) due to the compilation times. I don't think it may be too suitable for n00bs.

how about fedora, i was going to get red hat 9.0 but instead i got fedora 2.0 did i make a good choice?

FC2 is more or less Redhat 11.0. RH (the company) stopped supporting the free version of RH in favour of their commercial RH Enterprise Server last year. FC is a community supported distro that takes off where RH left off.

edit: to ans yr qn, yes. It's based on the 2.6 kernel.

Edited by ugenn

i got fedora, debian 3 rl2 and slackware 10.0 (the first two cds) i wanted to get freebsd and freesbie (a live cd of freebsd) but couldn´t yet. i don´t know much about them exept that they are made from unix