Response @ "Cassini Warning" & False Claims

Jiggs is a genius, everyone.

You're running an emulation site. Essentially, you are supporting piracy. Why not shut 1Emulation down if you don't want to support anything illegal?

No matter what, if you run an emulation site, you support illegal activities, even if you don't have any roms or bios uploaded.

So stop freting about it. The worst that can happen is you'll get an email from Sega telling you to take off something.

Emulators are not illegal ,But it is being said that the Cassini emulator is illegal because it was not there there's to start with.

Here is an example even it is not totaly the same, I compile my Own version of Mame with a few minor changes and added games,just say if i put it on a site and claim it as my emulator and changed all the names and copyright within the emulator ,this is illegal because I am not the copyright holder and cannot claim it as my work this is not the same as the Cassini emu but it will give you an idea what I am trying to say.

Edited by James

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There not talking about Roms or ISO's or Bios being  illegal they are saying the emulator is illegal, Because it was not there's to start with.

Well, my ranting seemed to just take off, thanks to the way the emulation scene is nowadays. Yes, slighly beside the point, I agree. ;)

I'm inclined to agree that Cassini is not a legitamate emulator since they haven't received written permission from Sega.

All this inter-forum squabbling is not necessary. We should all just leave each other to our own devices. Nothing good will come of this, just a bunch of name calling.

And shouldn't this thread be moved to the Official Cassini forum? ;)

Edited by GryphonKlaw

If it was, it would be ignored by...the ones who don't go to that fourm. This is thread is equivlent to O.J. Simpson going down Santa Monica highway in a white bronco.

Fsck i need to think of better analogies.

If it was, it would be ignored by...the ones who don't go to that fourm. This is thread is equivlent to O.J. Simpson going down Santa Monica highway in a white bronco.

Fsck i need to think of better analogies.

Roofles. Yeah, that was a bit lame. ;)

No seriously, let's all go back to our emulation hobby and put this stupid quarreling behind us. If someone doesn't like the way Cassini is now or it's legality, he can just let it be.

I'm inclined to agree that Cassini is not a legitamate emulator since they haven't received written permission from Sega.

All this inter-forum squabbling is not necessary. We can should all just leave each other to our own devices. Nothing good will come of this, just a bunch of name calling.

I completely agree ;)

I also want to say that I respect Admin's decisions.

It's their site, they can do whatever the hell they want with it; It's certainly not my place to tell them that their views, opinions, and rules are wrong -- it's like going into someone's house and telling them that the way they run their household isn't the correct way.

Anyway, I really do hope that the cassini team gets permission from sega/sammy to do what they're doing (A call to Japan is what? A few dollars?). That would certainly put any legal questions to rest.

Edited by iq_132

Japanese laws are less strictier when it comes to copyrights. I mean, has anyone ever played Fire Pro Wrestling?

We will not tolerate any site bashing. We respect EmuFanatics and they have their rights to say their views. I agree with iq_132 and that we can't say how to run their website.

The only thing we are focusing about is running ours. ;)

We will not tolerate any site bashing. We respect EmuFanatics and they have their rights to say their views. I agree with iq_132 and that we can't say how to run their website.

The only thing we are focusing about is running ours. :lol:

I agree with this as well.

well you can now stop worrying as cassini is no longer supported here. untill they get sega's legal team to say its ok to hack the girigiri emu, then things might change but untill then its a dead issue here.

A few points to note that many seem to forget when discussing Cassini's legality:

- GiriGiri was not originally a Sega product.

- There has been no credible evidence presented that the original author (Shinya Miyamoto aka MEGADEATH) completely surrendered his copyright to Sega rather than simply licensing the code.

- Internationally recognized copyrights do not have to be registered or renewed and last for a minimum of 50 years. This is mandated by the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works, of which all but a handful of industrialized nations are signatories. Basically this says that a work copyrighted in Japan by a Japanese citizen is protected in the US by US copyright law, in France by French copyright law, in Germany by German copyright law, etc.

- The previous two points combined with mention in the original tech support email of Sega not renewing the "copyright" strongly suggests that Sega had a license for GiriGiri and not the actual copyright.

- That is, there's a very good chance that Shinya Miyamoto, not Sega, is the current copyright holder of GiriGiri.

Edited by Ex-Cyber