Response @ "Cassini Warning" & False Claims

The following is from the Cassini Team:

--------------------------------------------------------

We have been notifyed that an emulation website has issued a warning to other emulation websites about Cassini of it's "legal" stand in the emulation scene. First of all THIS IS a new project. The reason is because it is the first emulator to be released for the sega saturn that is open source. Now you may be asking, "So what's your point, it's just a modified giri-giri." True, but the code has been 40% rewritten and will increase substantially even more in following releases.

As for the email that was sent to Sega. Snail (Programmar of Cassini) has told us, "It was actually sent to Sega Corp, which is international, and they sent it to Sega of America, who issued the vague statement, which is why I took it upon myself to make the needed legal changes to remove any doubt." We still do not understand why the email said it was from technical support, but it was never sent to the technical support when they sent the email and it most likely FORWARDED to them.

It also seems that many people have NOT READ the legal

page on the Cassini website which states the following.

http://barnitos.net/cassini/[/url]]1. You may not sell or in any way finacially profit from this project.

2. GiriGiri is no longer supported by Sega. It is considered "Abandonware". While Sega may no longer exist as it has been bought out by Sammy, and they did not renew their copyrights, and the laws are those of Japan, it is still unclear as to the actual legal condtions of GiriGiri. As such, to avoid potential legal issues, I have taken the project down a differnet path. Having changed over 40% of the code and at least 3 major features, this project is now known as "Cassini". Cassini is an exploritory probe of Saturn :D From here on the people working on this project will be referred to as: "Team Cassini"

3. You can not distribute any games, or bios with this emulator.

4. You must own a Sega Saturn to legally posses a Saturn BIOS. We do NOT distribute BIOSes UNDER ANY CONDITION, so please don't ask.....

5. At this time, all rights to this project are held by Team Cassini. However, as many people contributed to get it this far, and as much more help will be needed, anyone may contribute.

We respect the emulation site who issued the warning since they care about the emulation scene, but if you want the real facts on this issue, it is right above this sentence. Soon this emulator will be ported to the XBOX as well. Currently it's in early development, since this emulator is open source! So for the other emulation sites viewing this, please take it upon your self and realize this emulator is legit and is no longer GiriGiri.

If people just read the included info, the legal statement, and didn't just ignore it all, they would already know what they need, in that this is not a part of Sega now, and has been given legal permission for ditribution under the stated terms.

Thank you for your time.

- The Cassini Team

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pertaining to bad news and bias getting spread at some news sites:

- to Keith at EmuFanatics

You are supposed to be running a news site and letting users decide, not imposing your views and spreading negativity.

You are right, even though Sega hasn't renewed, the rights will hold, and is where things were somewhat unclear... the "legal" address, has produced no responce, email has had questionable responces at best and if Sega really wanted to protest, I gave them the chance.

As to you viewing it as just another hack, well, that is your take and choice, pitty, but what can one do? It is true this is not an original project, and I have never claimed such. But you keep ignoring the changes that have taken place. You're refusing to acknowledge the legality, not Sega. If Sega has a problem, they would say so, and have to prove Cassini is not legal.

The site you are linking people to with Runik doing nothing but bashing...

Runik is talking about the Saturnin, which is part emu and part simulator and not very compatible. Yes, it is original code, but it doesn't come close to this in funtionality.

But that is not the point of the post.

If your going to talk about Cassini being legal and try to convince other sites not to host it, try another way, but don't send people off to other sites to debate over which method is better, as it has nothing to do with the post subject of legality.

I know you say your not trying to offend the Cassini Team, but I have put a lot of time and hard work into this emulator. I did not just slap it together in 2 seconds and it really hurts the team when your trying to tell everyone to stay away from the project.

Edited by Snail

I know little of the legalities of this or any other emulator, however what I have observed is the almost universal praise for this 'new' version of what was giri giri. I have perused many emu/rom sites where the news of this development has spread and it has only garnered a positive response from those that have heard of it.

This project should be supported by the whole emulation community, rather than attacked by people who do not hold, or wish to hold, the facts about it.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

- Albert Einstein

:D Just kidding, ofcourse. No one opposing this has a mediocre mind, in fact they have pretty decent arguements.

Edited by GryphonKlaw

Why does anyone even care about the legalities? I mean, most of us aren't downloading PD/games we already own exclusively. I understand the need to cover one's ass, but why act like you're above "that childish illegal stuff" when basically nobody downloads only the games they can legally have back-ups of?

That's why I like the movie piracy scene: Nobody pretends to be totally legitimate.

Geezus, I had no idea this would escalate to something like this, nor was I ever notified of any of this new information of tutorial being pulled from another site and no crediting. 1Emulation DOES NOT support illegal emulators. It also seems that the LEGAL page for the Cassini site has been updated by Barnito. It looks like I need to get in contact with them again. Again, 1Emulation will NOT support an illegal emulator. We will continue to support this project until further notice so we can get this cleared up.