Open Debate - 64dd Emulation

I've been messing around with Chankast lately but after dredging up an old article on IGN my mind returned to n64 mode. The notorious 64DD disk-drive add on was never released outside of japan and so far has not been emulated (i assume). I remember reading that one of the "dead" emulators (pj64, etc.) but i'm sure that there are enough diehard F-Zero (the best 64DD title) fans out there to warrant both an emulator and a dump of the expansion pack and any other worthwhile 64DD roms. So we now have 2 questions:

1. How can we emulate the 64DD?

Your guess is as good as mine. Perhaps support could be added to project64, as it appears that people have already cracked the core (see the recent Project64K for a successful example). I'm no programmer but im sure someone out there is up to the challenge?

2. Integration/ROM dumping

Methinks a frontend where (for an expansion) booting both the ROM and the 64DD image separately sounds too complicated for its own good. How about a joint dump where F-Zero X (JAP) and the 64DD Xpansion pack are dumped and booted together. This has already been done with the combined Sonic 3/Sonic and Knuckles Genesis roms that are floating around every two-bit rom site on the web, so the concept is not a new one. P.S. What's the deal with the Zelda - Master Quest roms that are also out there? How did they come into being?

I know this is a lot of questions but the purpose of this post is simply to get people talking. Talk is good... maybe we can stir up some support for this noble cause :mellow:.... but in any case we can dream, eh?

• 3 weeks later...

bumpness

I'm sure that if there would have been enough usefullness for the DD64 in the first place, it would have been emulated already. Maybe emu authors don't see it feasible to start tackling with an "expansion kit" that was only released in Japan, when N64 emulation itself is so far from perfect.

come on agozer, admit it, you want f-zero as much as i do... the track editor was supposed to rock and the car editor is something completely unique...

plus when i was a kid i remember being wowed by the original f-zero on the snes...

come on agozer, admit it, you want f-zero as much as i do... the track editor was supposed to rock and the car editor is something completely unique...

plus when i was a kid i remember being wowed by the original f-zero on the snes...

I do agree that F-Zero is a great game, but I'm not enough of a gaming purist to want all the japanese weird addon thingies (except the BS Stellaview for the SNES) emulated...Then again, SNES emulation is near perfect.

• 3 weeks later...

Im with darkmage, i dont think you guys realise just how awsome the F Zero X Expansion Kit is, so to add on to what darkmage said, a sum up.

One thing thats not very well known is that the DD adds on 2 extra Cups.

DD Cup 1

DD Cup 2

now that right there is great, unlike the F Zero 2 add on for the snes, ugh. ::shudders::

then comes of course the best part of the expansion, the track editor, the power behind this is very very high, its similar and may even be what the developers themselves used.

oh yes... i cant forget that the DD lets you save 100 custom tracks

now if thats not enough, i dont know what is! :D

I absolutely must have the expansion kit, and if it doesnt get emulated then i Will buy it, i would have bought the DD just for the F Zero expansion if it came to the US, but it didnt, so now i have to resort to the Japanese version, and believe me, i would definitely spend the time of deciphering the editor, without a doubt it would be worth it. :D

• 1 month later...

if they could just emulate f zero dd so u could do the extra tracks stuff that would be enough right there. Didnt u need the orginal f zero x game plus the addon to play it? hmm only if u could just figure out how to take the data from the addon and emulate it into f zero x :P

anyways what other games were released on it anyways? wasnt there mario paint 64?