Sony Ps3 Could Cost Up To $500

An analyst firm has warned that the price of the future Playstation 3 console could be as high as $500, due to its expected added media features.

Industry analysts Michael Pachter and Edward Woo, who authored the Wedbrush Morgan Securities report, reckon that Sony will try to flog the PS3 off with way more functionality than current consoles, including among others digital video recorder, or DVR and a DVD burner.

According to the report, by late 2006 – currently accepted as the earliest possible launch date for the PS3 – all of the system's extra features will cost about $250 to include, which will in turn lead to a $500 price tag.

Another possibility is that Sony will release several variations of the console, including a minimalist version that will be designed purely as a games console. If they do this, users will be able to choose between the "regular" games system and the more pricey media centre. It's nice to see that Sony will be releasing a purely games console, because the companies save Nintendo seem to be getting far too wrapped up in "media centres" and are forgetting about the games.

In related news, Microsoft has spoken out against rumours of its Xbox 2 system having no backwards compatibility. However, in its statement Microsoft did not deny the rumours. If Microsoft wants to compete with the PS3, having backwards compatibility would be advisable – after all, one Xbox in the living room takes up quite enough space. Imagine two of them.

Source: The Inquirer.

damn that alot guess ill have to jack someone for one

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the idea that Sony should release multiple versions of the PS3. After all, I think consoles should stick to gaming and a DVD player for those (like me) who do not have one.

Two words: flock Sony.

But if this minimalist Playstation thing is for real then that'll be a really good thing. I think the super-duper-media-center Playstation 3 will cater to people who don't have a whole system but want one like college students.

You know you think Sony would actually think when making these systems. Anyways, PSP is gonna hit the 299.99 Mark ruling out me getting it at launch. People will obviously go for the cheaper one at launch. I mean look at the PSX, not doing that great since all it is, is a white PS2 with 1 controller port.

Just wait for the price to go down anyways.

I mean you buy the Sony playstation 3 and theres not much good games out. Theres probably one and thats it and you'll have to wait for a while.

Just wait a few months for the price to go down. Then the previous good games become one of those Greatest Hits boxes and you can get the system and the games for cheaper then.

Seriously, why would you buy it for 500$. unless you're a rich fanboy!!

I can hardly afford ps2 games here where i live, so i don't think i'll get within atleast the next 2 years <_<. tho i like the idea of the different ps3 packages.

I wonder if these alleged different PS3s will have the same hardware but with certain stuff disabled. I'm sure some hax0rs will either figure out that some quick soldering or a firmware upgrade could enable the rest of the features. Kind of like how it is with video cards and CPUs. <_<

A dvd burner?  Why in all of my personal hell would they include a DVD BURNER!  As if it has any purpose at all!  If I wanted to burn dvds I'd burn 'em with my fricken PC.  I'll not pay for this!

Its actually smart idea if you think of it from the criminal side of it.

Someone steals the ps3 and then you have to go and buy another one.

You get screwed and Sony wins again!

A dvd burner?  Why in all of my personal hell would they include a DVD BURNER!  As if it has any purpose at all!  If I wanted to burn dvds I'd burn 'em with my fricken PC.  I'll not pay for this!

Its actually smart idea if you think of it from the criminal side of it.

Someone steals the ps3 and then you have to go and buy another one.

You get screwed and Sony wins again!

Yeah, you know who steals it? SONY! You buy their console...they steal it back...and they re-box it and sell it again. Look, we're making twice the profit!