I Want A New Comp

You will not be able to play games like Far Cry with this Comp.

Celeron sucks as well as Intel integrated graphic chip!!!!!!!!!!

If you want something cheap with good performance in 3d games buy an Athlon XP Barton and an ATi 9600pro.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You will not be able to play games like Far Cry with this Comp.

Celeron sucks as well as Intel integrated graphic chip!!!!!!!!!!

If you want something cheap with good performance in 3d games buy an Athlon XP Barton and an ATi 9600pro.

He speaks the truth. Those would be cheap and hardcore.

And Far Cry has insane requirements, I'm not even going to attempt to run it on my piece of crap computer.

And Far Cry has insane requirements, I'm not even going to attempt to run it on my piece of crap computer.

How much is insane exactly while talking about max settings graphicswise?

• 1 month later...

The composition of the case shouldn't really affect anything. But the design can, you should get one that has good ventilation and lots of fan slots to keep your system cool.

An expansion slot is the PCI and AGP ports. AGP graphics cards are the most abudent.

The kind of graphics card you want depends on how much you can spend. If you can $300+, you can get top of the line stuff like ATI Radeon X800 and Nvidia GeForce 6800. Each of those cards come in 3 levels, low, medium and high.

But for now a Radeon 9600 or 9800 Pro or XT (K'dash, you're help is required here) should do the trick and those are cheaper than the ones mentioned earlier.

Go to www.newegg.com to see a selection of cards in your price range, they are a very good site and have very good prices.

But for now a Radeon 9600 or 9800 Pro or XT (K'dash, you're help is required here) should do the trick and those are cheaper than the ones mentioned earlier.

There is a trick to change 9800 Pro 256 MB cards to 9800XT versions, saving you possibly 70 to 150 dollars depending on the Pro Model you get. The reason this is possible is because for ATi's Pro 256MB line is that they take 9800XT cords, and shut off 4 pipelines in the bios of the card, To cover come this. You need much better cooling (really, you must if you want to keep running the card past 10 minutes) and some skill in bios flashing. I highly suggest a 9600XT because they're cheaper then the 9800Pro versions. But if you have about 50 more dollars, go the extra way and get the 9800Pro, the price of it should of a tad bit down now since the x800 is out, maybe around 320 now. Actual ATi cards are your best bet, but if you want an excellent warrenty, get Asus, their cards maybe more expensive, but their stuff lasts longer and is worth it in the long run. Confined to the 3 A's, Asus, AMD, ATi I am.

K'dash, do you think getting a Shader Model 3 capable card (the 6800) is worth it right now? Or just go with the X800 since not many games (just Far Cry so far and I'm not too impressed with it) will use it just yet.

Well, I would wait until the theres a 2nd generation Shader Model 3 card. A X800 would be worth it in it's expense, but if your a cheap guy, i'd go with last generation's latest models. The 9800XT prices should go down since te x800 is out. Also using a card such as a 6800 would require you to change your power supply. They recommend at least a 340 Watt PSUnit. The current x800 card can run on a PSUnit above 280 Watts.

Although I highly suggest not using the FX series. Sure they're good, but nVidia just put them out to beat ATi. They didn't put their heart into it like what they did with the GeForce 4 IT series. I'm suprised no one sells thoughs anymore, those were badass cards.

I would wait until at least the 2nd or 3rd generation of a product. But if you really want it, theres no one stopping you. Personal preference, 1st Party ATi Core OEM products are much cheaper, you get the drivers CD, the card and a power plug. This applies to any hardware, if you wanna save money, get OEMs. The package is just the hardware it self and something to protect, and important cables, nothing else. Saving maybe 50 to 100 dollars.

Right now I have a Radeon 9700 Pro so I'm not going to upgrade now. It's not the worst card around and its DX9 capable so that's all I care about. I was just asking to get your opinion on that.