One Man's Trash...

nezumi

So, I get back to my apartment from lunch today, stuffed, and I go to check the mail. Another worthless "pennysaver" type paper, so I walk on over to the garbage cans (collected every so often) and discard the newly acquired junk mail, and then it catches my eye.

One of the other tenant's was the previous owner of this fine Apex 500W DVD player. It was just sitting on top of the can, without remote or cables (save for the power chord, for which I am thankful). At first appearance, only the door in front of the DVD drive was "broken." I looked about -- no-one's looking or caring, this DVD player is sitting on the trash can in good physical condition, and for all I know still works. I grabbed it and ran inside with it.

I opened it up, to check the innards; pretty simple layout. The power supply is kinda ghetto, 90% identical to the kinds used in computers in the first half of 1995 and earlier. Everything looked OK... I hooked it up, powered it on, and it worked. Played a DVD. That worked. I've been watching things on it off and on today, and I'm pleased with it. Visuals are sharp, it can quite easily be made region-free and macrovision-free, has SPDIF audio and S-Video... no remote though. :D

I even went and repaired the door. It had simply come off it's hinge and the spring was not set properly (still isn't set properly, but I did the best I could do). And this is how I scored a free DVD player, which is quite nice by my standards. If it hadn't been in working order, I would have put a computer in it. Either way, I win.

So... what have you guys found in the trash?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have found a full pack a cigarettes and a full can of beer! Then Mr. T told me not to drink it and New Edition started singing "Peer Pressure" on the Pier...

(that was a direct refrence to "Mr. T's Be Somebody... Of Be Somebody's Fool")

Anon.

Haha! One of the greatest movies ever. :D

Nice find nezumi, I wish I found electronics in the garbage.

But I found a couch that we used in my high school dorm room in the garbage. Well not IN the garbage, but it was there to be thrown away. It was an awesome couch bed and came in very handy. ;)

Well You Are Vary Lucky For One, And All I've Ever Found Were A Set Of Computer Speakers. And How Hard Is It To Find A Workable Remote?

And AntiWinner22, YOU LUCKY ASS SONUVABICH! A Pack If Cigs?! The Only Way I Could Get Sigs Is Though Friends And Stealing Some.

Found a ps2 in the garbage. Fished it out. the door wouldnt work at all. it would make this grinding noise whenevert you tried to power the thing on. turns out a smoker had owned the ps2 and there were ashes everywhere in the thing, including the drive rails. I cleaned the drive rails off, put some oil on them, and booted up a game. worked. dvd worked. everything worked flawlessly.

free ps2.

sometimes ppl throw things away on the net just for the hell of it and put a price tag on it, it's like paying for trash. Take this product for example. For some reason, the seller might now think it's trash, but then he'll see that it's considered treasure by a sh!tload of ppl.

.....see what I mean?