Ey! the speed Pig is a good thing! It's impressive how works chankast with it!! In my computer (amd2800@3200) the frame rate becomes double with that.

My question is: could Speed Pig be ported to other emulators (i am thinking on Pcsx2) to gain speed?

Thanks for read this!

Edited by Kaiser

Uh? Does it speed up all the pc? Really? I haven't noticed.. I 've to do some test then...

I've tested it. Speed pig only works in Chankast. It would be great in other emulators :-D

Edited by Kaiser

Speedpig isn't currently compatible with all PCs due the variation of equipement. Same thing applies to the games.

Running Chankast with Speedpig set to increase speed (Remember! The slider is BACKWARDS!), if you minimize it, it WILL affect every other app you run.

The thing is though, with Chankast running and speed pig kicking things up a notch, ALOT of memory is used. So doing that and trying to run another emulator or game, just isn't viable at all. (Check out the memory usage by Chankast when you are using speedpig, it's HUGE! Thus if you have a PC without a large ammount of RAM, you could notice hardly anything........or nothing at all)

I have tried it. Chankast with Speed Pig running Metropolis street racer + Pcsx2 0.6 running Street fighter ex3=> memory usage 508 mb. pcsx2 =4.75fps.

If only pcsx2 is running fps=3.75.

Less is nothing...

Through a little intuition, and a little testing, i've found the way this program "speed pig" works is by increasing the FSB (Front Side Bus) of your motherboard in real time. What you are doing is overclocking your pc. In Kaiser's case you are overclocking it more. The first program to do this was called SoftFSB, by H. Oda. This article is good for finding out more about both of these things:

Ars Technica

Overclocking your pc has a fair share of dangers, but overclocking in real time without the proper software has many more dangers. The FSB governs the speed at which all components operate in a PC, by increasing it, you increase the speed of your computer as a whole, thus there is a risk of overheating for any component, and subsequent possible permanent damage. There are different standard FSB frequencies for different motherboards. If you use a frequency that is non-standard (higher or lower), there is a possibility that specific components (esp. hard drives) can go out of "sync" and suffer permanent damage because of it. If you increase or decrease this value too quickly or many times in a short amount of time, there is a very real possibility of damaging your CPU. By using a program like this off and on, you can expose your processor to large temperature swings which can damage the cores on newer processors. This program will only work on motherboards that support changes made to the FSB speed in the BIOS, and will not work on motherboards where it is adjusted with jumpers.

If you are increasing your FSB enough to noticeably change the speed your PC's clock, you have made a very large change.

The amount of memory used by Chankast is larger because your system bus is able to move it into ram faster.

For a program like this to be effective and not dangerous, it must have specific information on the PLL circuits of your motherboard, otherwise it can not judge which FSB speeds are safe for your pc. Its not realistic to assume that this program contains such information on all motherboards. Software designed to do this is almost always supplied by a motherboard manufacturer.

I would avoid using this program altogether, as it does not really classify as a speed hack for Chankast, a safer alternative is real overclocking. If you must use it, be careful:

Monitor your processor and chipset temperatures closely with a program like motherboard monitor 5 or sisoft sandra.

Adjust the slider very slowly and carefully.

Not enough is known about the exact nature of this program, and until more info is known, I would say that this program can be assumed (at its worst) to be potentially harmful to your PCs. More answers about this program from it's creators would be great. I just thought you guys should know what i know. Please correct me if I am wrong.

That could be; I have noticed a cpu temp 10º C up. Speed pig is like Nvidia tools program, isn't it? Programs like Nvidia tools or Clockgen allowed you to change fbs, agp and pci values from windows.

I've tested chankast +Speed Pig with Sisandra and Cpuid; neither gives me a change of processor speed, but my fsb changes from 205 till 209. That's strange, changes the fsb but not the computer speed. Then i've to be careful,my computer is water cooling but already working near its limit :P

Speed Pig doesn't work at all for me nor does it work for any of my friends that use it. I'm on a 1.8 gHz Pentium 4 with a GeForce4 64 MB video card, 512 MB DDR RAM. Why is it not working for me?
Speedpig isn't currently compatible with all PCs due the variation of equipement. Same thing applies to the games.