New Graphics Card

I'm going to buy a new graphics card next month ,the problem is i want a good "budget" performer. i'm thinking of the ati radeon 9600 but i never had a ati card before, so i dunno what to expect. Maybe i should just stick with Nvidia and get a geforcefx5600 or something.... what do you think?

a 9600XT is pretty good for a budget PC. Also a 9800 Pro is pretty good (Original ATi cards, not their 3rd party cards) and cheap (should be at least 50 bucks more then the 9600XT).

I agree, the Radeon 9800 Pro is your best bet!

However, don´t be fooled becuase there are two versions...

A 128 Bit and the 256 Bit, being the last around 200-210$ and the first around 170$!

The performance difference seems to be significant, so its your call

Edited by JuMeSyn

would the performance difference between the 128-bit and the 256-bit be worth the difference in cost between the two? (just how big is the difference in performance?)

The 256MB version of the 9800 Pro isn't worth the money unless you are planning to change it's stock cooler with something else. (No big difference between the 128 and 256)

Edited by K`dash

No...

You are talking about the card´s RAM. There is actually minimal difference between 128MB and 256MB

The 128Bit version is worse compared to the 256Bit one.

The 128Bit clocks are also lower. From what I´ve seen around the web, this 128Bit version is compared to a 9500 Pro!!

Just go for the 256Bit and you won´t regret it, I´m sure

Actually your wrong, the 256MB versions of the 9800 Pro are useless unless your going to flash it's bios and change the stock cooling for a 9800 XT.

The 256 MB versions show no overall improvement over it's 128 brotheren. It was made to compete when the FX line came out. But people have shunned it because it is EXACTLY like it's 128 brother. If you flash the card's bios to an 9800XT, you better have the cooling or else it's going to overheat.

Edited by K`dash

Hmmm, I said there were only minimal difference and those are in 1600x1200 with AF and AA cranked to the max.

Without that, those 2 versions performe equally.

You are right about the flashin, I heard that the new ASUS 9800 Pro comes with the R360 Core..