Change Dreamcast Bios From Pal/span To Ntsc/eng!

Alpha

As we all know, the most used bios for Chankast that was released is a PAL/(Span)ish BIOS. Many people have said it is the only annoying thing with Chankast since most people including us were not able to find a NTSC/(Eng)lish BIOS or we couldn't flash it from our own DreamCast's.

We have now found a way to modify your preexisting PAL/Spanish BIOS to a normal NTSC/English BIOS, better yet, any combination you want with even more languages to choose from!!

Before you continue: Remember, 1Emulation.Com and it's servers to do not host any BIOS's and we do not condone any illegal activities or material. So please, own a dreamcast if your going to use this guide with a DreamCast BIOS.

I. What you need:

- Hex Editor (Choose Between: Hex WorkShop | XVI32)

II. Unzip Sega DreamCast Bios

Unzip the Sega DreamCast Bios if you haven't before (If you have already done this step if you played Chankast already, skip this step, if this is your first time with it all, keep reading) using WinRAR.

III. Open the Hex Editor (either Hex Workshop or XVI32 is best)

Open dc_flash.bin, then Search down through the file for "211Dreamcast" (its about 4/5 of the way into the file, just before a list of the japanese developers' names). Change that 211Dreamcast to 121Dreamcast. That string appears twice. That string appears twice. It worked with just one changed, but its probably a good idea to change both instances.

IV. Save the DreamCast Bios

Save the bios over the prexesiting original, we also recommend you keep a backup of the original just incase you mess up.

V. Congratulations!

Your bios is now a normal NTSC (with the Red Swirl, PAL is with the Blue Swirl) and it's in English too! If you would like to request a different language or combination, reply to this post and we can help you out.

Notes: To change it to other languages yourself, you have to change the second digit to other numbers (either with the prexisting PAL combination or NTSC combination). Feel free to play around with it. We can't guarentee if this won't screw up playability with other games or make it any better, so try it out both ways (original and your own) and see how it is.

Credits: Sultan, view the original post here @ This Link!

PS: Please do not copy and paste this tutorial and post it on another website.

Please link to this tutorial instead, thank you.

All 3 region flash dumps can be found -Link removed. Read board rules-

hehe I didn't read that it was the flsah that was edited. But there you have it, the other 3 region flash dumps.

Edited by Agozer

All 3 region flash dumps can be found -Link removed. Read board rules-.

hehe I didn't read that it was the flsah that was edited. But there you have it,  the other 3 region flash dumps.

Still, it's a good read. Thanks for the link, this is more of the legalier way. :lol::lol:

PS: You can also change it to any combination you want instead of the default ones made. PAL/English NTSC/French, etc., so I'd say it's a lot better this way.

Edited by Agozer

nice, that's even easier!

Though I'm still convinced you can get those AV cable issues to go away by modifying the bios or the boot files on the disc. I'm going to keep hacking away to see what I find.