I got tired of playing chanka with the blue, PAL dreamcast bios in spanish. A quick look into the files revealed how to change this setting. Thought I would share this info.

First, get yourselve a hex editor, like xvi32. Next, open up the dc_flash.bin file in the hex editor. Search down through the file for "211Dreamcast" (its about 4/5 of the way into the file, just before a list of the japanese developers' names). Change that 211Dreamcast to 121Dreamcast. That string appears twice. It worked with just one changed, but its probably a good idea to change both instances. That's it, it'll be the normal NTSC bios now!

I assume you can also change it to other languages by changing that second digit to other numbers. Feel free to play around with it.

I also found where the time and date were stored, but when I changed it, Chanka just reset it back :lol: oh well

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, this is great information, stickied! :lol:

If you can upload a NTSC bios/english and post the link here too, that'll be cool.

Thank you very much for posting this.

EDIT: It is now also posted on the main page, keep it up Sultan. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I tried that after I finally figured out how to get the vmu working, but if I do that, then certain games stop working for some reason until I delete the vmu file (i'm thinking this is the reason for the vmubrowser by ElSemi)

Thanx for the great info on the ntsc, but i think it would be even nicer to be able to stash away my bios defaulted to ntsc/english : ) (not to mention rid myself of having to fix the vmu file)

Eh? VMUs are suppose to be international. Doesn't matter what you save on it. I've got PAL, NTSC-USA and J on it and it still works, even with the chankast version.

I mean vms, not vmu, but yes, I can't explain it but thats what happened, in order to use memory pack, i had to first delete all the crap that was there in the "memory pack" through the dreamcast bios, then that got me to where i can save games and save changes in bios, it saved my english language selection, but after a few games and saves later of MVC2, i tried to play Jet Grind Radio and it wouldnt load... then, I tried to play MVC2 again and that wouldnt load either, what it did was popped up with asking me to change the time in the bios and wouldnt go past that just kept looping to changing the time (setting back to default every time) so i replaced the bios, made it read only, still wouldnt work, so i exported my MVC2 game and deleted the vms, which allowed them both to work.

Oh, well, you need to format the card before using right. Now once thats done, import the saves you want. From there, it should work 100% again.

hm... somehow my flash rom is getting scrambled somehow... similar to the descrambling and scrambling of 1stread.bin, compared them with my hex editor b4 and after, and whoa, guess chankast cant write to flash rom properly yet...