Finally Upgrading My Pc

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bah, ignore the other opinions and get the Celeron....and start overclocking. :lol:

avoid overclocking, i read that could fried your circuits.

Only if you're not careful. Just make sure there is proper cooling and don't overclock too much and everything should be fine.

50 to 60 MHz higher then it's normal stock is theoritically still good on stock cooling. BTW Celerons aren't overclockable anymore since 1998.

Well, it's long-past due, but I'm upgrading my PC. Here's what I'm thinking of buying:

Western Digital 80GB 7200rpm ATA100 8MB WD800JB   

Apacer 512MB 400MHz PC3200 CAS 3.0 DDR DIMM   

Intel Celeron 2.8GHz (400MHz FSB) Retail Box & Fan       

ASUS P4R800-VM Sock478 ATI9200IGP Dual DDR400/AUDIO/VGA/LAN                                                         

Any comments?

By the way, here are my current specs:

Intel Pentium 3 733MHz

256MB SDRAM

15GB HDD

This upgrade will be an improvement, no?

Give me your hdd so I can stick it in my xbox. :lol:

Actually Lite-On DVD-/+R drives are practically the best you can get. Affordable and it works all the time.

Actually Lite-On DVD-/+R drives are practically the best you can get. Affordable and it works all the time.

Hey, I like it, it works fine for me...I was just saying that it's not a Pioneer or a LG but a lite-on.

50 to 60 MHz higher then it's normal stock is theoritically still good on stock cooling. BTW Celerons aren't overclockable anymore since 1998.

My Celeron 700 mhz is overclocked to 1 ghz using the stock cooling fan and Asus mobo (it was designed to overclock through the bios) and I'm pretty sure its like 2 years old at most.

A lot of reviews out there claim that the LG DVD burner is the best so far but its only of what i read...

---- to random guy

As for the specs, everything looks good, but I would consider you invest in the SATA HDDs they have out now, faster and the tech is newer and the price is very minimal. soon the ATA are going to be out dated or already are.

Sidenote: I bought an 80G WD and it makes this funny *clunk* sound everytime i shut it down completely and it powers back up and I tend to try out a Maxtor for my next HDD.

My friends have told me that Maxtor is the top HDD brand out there and since WD was bought out or WD has maxtor parts... something on the lines of that...

Gino :lol: