Xbox 2 + Pc?

Alpha

May 27, 2004 - CNN's Game Over column looks at the news that there could be a version of XBox 2 that would also be able to play PC games officially.

Here's a cut:

The B/R/S Group, a California-based market research company that lists Microsoft and the Xbox division specifically as clients, has been gathering consumer feedback on a device it refers to as Xbox Next PC - "a videogame console system with a hard drive and a built-in fully functional PC." Mention of the device came on one of several slides shown to focus groups.

One slide describes the unit, which would require a PC monitor or high definition television, as being backward compatible with current and next-generation Xbox titles. It would also play PC games and include a fully functional version of Windows, CD burner, DVD player (with remote control), built-in access to Xbox Live and a hard drive. Control-wise, the system would come with both a keyboard and mouse and a standard Xbox controller. The price point this particular study tested was $599.

Won't be able to afford it till it goes preowned, but a great idea! :P

I agree with Mr. G here. There should be somekind of a line between console gaming and PC gaming. Besides, the X-BOX is already a PC in a fancy shell.

This is sad...don't meddle with the PC gaming market with your crappy console! There should a law for Separation of Console and PC Gaming... :P

Why?

Because the two are different, more or less, and they should remain so. If people want to play consoles games, they should get a console, and if they want to play PC games, they should get a PC.

And I honestly think PC games are better than console games, and hence mixing the two mediums would bring the standard of PC games down, whilst flooding the PC market with shovelware. But I don't want to start a flame war.

And console games are okay, I don't hate them, no way - I like some of the racers, and the fighters, of course. But I think PC games are just a few rungs above them. Compare PC RPGs and console RPGs, for example - the PC RPGs just own.

And anyway, console gamers might not want to play PC style games on their console either. The whole reason why some of my friends bought consoles is because they can't stand PC games.

Edited by Basara

This is sad...don't meddle with the PC gaming market with your crappy console! There should a law for Separation of Console and PC Gaming... :P

Why?

So we can always have the superior PC gaming crowd and the inferior console gamers. :P

But seriously, they shouldn't flock up a good balance between consoles and PC that exists now.

I dislike this idea, for the same reasons as everyone else...however, if this does pan out, at least it'll kill the Phantom before its even released! :P

d00d! The Phantom Gaming Service will 0wn all! Bow down to its l33tness! :P