Writing A New Emulator...

I don't know, but I've heard writing a Chip 8 emulator is a good place to start.

Thanks! I'll look into it.

About Super Gameboy, if it used to play gameboy games on the snes, the instructions must be exactly the same, so all info about it should also apply to the gameboy. Thanks for the info Agozer :)

the super gameboy adapter for snes had color options that you could give a b/w gb game some what of a color look. you could also add/make a border for the game and some games came with premade borders. it was pretty cool thing back then when snes was rocking

Yeah, the SGB borders were pretty nifty, although they didn't serve any other purpose that eye-candy. Like Prican said, The SGB only had color sets; it didn't color the games the same way Gameboy Color did, as that would have made too many color calculations....Just some change to the dull black and white.

Most of the programers don't know every function in their favirite language. However, If you wnat to write an emulator, you better know 100% the language of the system you want to emulate. You never know when will a rom use a function you forgot to include.

I would say practice with something open source first.

Most are in C, which is efficient but low-level, so quite hard and time-consuming.

I may look in the code of open-source emulators, but not modify them or contribute to them. Btw, I'll probably put mine in open-source too.

I'll probably begin with a Chip 8 emulator, like iq_132 said. As a beginning it seems much more reasonable than a gameboy.