A Political Cartoon...my Reaction To Recent Events

general image of America that is being portrayed in the news at the moment is not representative of the whole US
Amen!! Now you're gettin' it!! BTW bad news is always the most popular and overplayed in the world too right?

Believe me, I know that for a fact! But also I think I gave you the wrong impression...its not like I came to this board expecting you all to be redneck hicks who advocate invading any country they can spell, I realise that Americans, just like everyone else in the world, will generally be good, decent people. But when something like the Iraq war happens, and the majority of the public is initially in favour of it even though 1) it would mean the US was all but giving up on finding bin Laden, and 2) the reasons for the war were absolutely false pretences from the beginning, and have since been proven as such, I dispair a little. But I dispaired the same of my own country, because in a poll the week before the Iraq war, something like 66% were against the war, and then the week after we went in, about the same percentage were in favour of it! Oh, yes, don't worry, I dispair about the 'majority' of my own country's views as much as I dispair about the 'majority' of your country's views....anyone whose heard of Pauline Hanson *shudder* will know what I mean.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Random...(This is just my opinion btw.)

I'm not american and have grown tired of America's "world police" type of attitude, as you may have read some other topics that I've answered to.

It's true that this harsh generalization does not represent the whole US, and should not be seen as such. However, I agree with you on the fact the US of A has gone too far with Iraq, Afghanistan and the whole terrorist hunt. I also see why some countries hate America because of all this.

The sad truth to the matter is, that no one in Europe has any say about US politics, we are free to biatch about it, but that doesn't change anything. The US citicens(sp?) have stood up and I'm glad this kind of debate is going on there.

I'd say Bush and his whole administration (Rumsfeld etc.) are between the rock and a hard place. It'll be a day in my book if he gets re-elected in the office even with all this controversy. The good thing is that he hasn't started to control the media like Silvio Berlusconi over in Italy. :D

Just a reminder, these were just my opinions, disagree at will.

Edited by Agozer

first of all, nice drawing random guy, btw is thew guy using an apple?

On the other hand, US image is very negative everywhere i know, it is not like everyone is watching everything Us does to critizice it, it is more like watching the news and saying these guys suck. Of course that because there are some idiots it doesn`t mean everyone in the US is like that. It is the country policy what peple hates i mean you are considered pirates, robbers, assasins, etc. etc., the givernment always did and does lame things and then when something happens like the 11/09 you talk about justice and mora, and that annoys people. Of course it is nothing personal and that doesn`t mean people from US are hated but as a country you suck.

first of all, nice drawing random guy, btw is thew guy using an apple?

On the other hand, US image is very negative everywhere i know, it is not like everyone is watching everything Us does to critizice it, it is more like watching the news and saying these guys suck. Of course that because there are some idiots it doesn`t mean everyone in the US is like that. It is the country policy what peple hates i mean you are considered pirates, robbers, assasins, etc. etc., the givernment always did and does lame things and then when something happens like the 11/09 you talk about justice and mora, and that annoys people. Of course it is nothing personal and that doesn`t mean people from US are hated but as a country you suck.

Thanks - yeah, I designed it so the guy was using an apple, but the 'browser' was modelled after ie6: that was just a private joke :D

Yeah, and you and Agozer have managed to summarise things quite well (and in a way that didn't invite flaming, like with my comments). The American people are no doubt generally good, decent people, but 'America' sucks!

I'd rather live in this sucky country than anywhere else, especially in South America it really sucks down there. I have relatives there and it's the pits....Anyway I'll be glad when Kerry takes office and someone with brains and can read right starts making good decisions.

Let me also add that history works in cycles. When Clinton was in charge I had a quite positive view of the concept that is America. But now that the right wing has its talons over the white house, the agendas shift, and now all that's being discussed from America is 1) the war, and 2) the president trying to ban gay marriages. You can see how that would shift my perspective a little.

You cant criticize america unless you live in america. A lot of people dont like bush. If you'd watch american teleivision you'd see that every comedian or some political guy criticizes president bush. Here in america there's this thing, and this thing is called an election, and in the election we elect a president, you still following me? Ok, every 4 years we have a new election, and there's like one coming up this year(I think) and more than likely bush is going to be voted out. If you dont want bush to be president again then STFU and become an American and vote his azz out, it's as simple as that.

Let me also add that history works in cycles. When Clinton was in charge I had a quite positive view of the concept that is America. But now that the right wing has its talons over the white house, the agendas shift, and now all that's being discussed from America is 1) the war, and 2) the president trying to ban gay marriages. You can see how that would shift my perspective a little.

You cant criticize america unless you live in america. A lot of people dont like bush. If you'd watch american teleivision you'd see that every comedian or some political guy criticizes president bush. Here in america there's this thing, and this thing is called an election, and in the election we elect a president, you still following me? Ok, every 4 years we have a new election, and there's like one coming up this year(I think) and more than likely bush is going to be voted out. If you dont want bush to be president again then STFU and become an American and vote his azz out, it's as simple as that.

Thats actually very defensive. We can criticize it anyway we want. Be it we live in it or not. America is a nice place (with the exception New Jersey, that place gives me the creeps), but it's being protryed as something else to the world. I know tons of americans who would rather see tictacs(<- LOL I BRING IT UP YET AGIAN!) then Bush. I'm up for all the anti-Bush propraganda and telling people to vote. With all this happening, will you do it? First off encourage your own people to vote before telling us what to do.

Bloody hell, man, it's comments like that that make me have a stereotypical view of all Americans. Don't you think it's a bit much to want to bomb an ENTIRE COUNTRY for an act of violence commited by a few individuals, that even the clerical leaders in Iraq are calling a disguisting act of violence! Well, Bush invaded Iraq, does that give Iraqis the right to nuke the US? Let me say again that terrorist acts like these are commited by people who happen to inhabit a country, not the whole country! Iraq didnt cut that guy's head off, some lone extremists did! Just like Afghanistan didn't fly planes into the WTC, an international terrorist organisation did (and just like America didn't invade US, the army did, as ordered by George W. Bush). Learn to differentiate between the acts of a few extremest Muslims, and the acts of every single other Muslim.

Ps I am aware that you've backed down from your position of wanting to bomb Iraq, and I agree, the people involved should be caughed and punished. But that doesn't mean that every Iraqi should be punished for this act, because alot of them are as disguisted by it as we are. Don't criticise me for stereotyping, and then stereotype the iraqis as all being mad terrorist bombers, because that's a worse stereotype than the one I sometimes battle with.

The U.S. did not INVADE iraq, they LIBERATED iraq. The mission was to remove saddam from power and thats what we did, but since we had to use massive force to remove him from power everything got kind of mixed up. So now that everything is mixed up now we have to "REBUILD" iraq, and the dead line is june 30, or so they say. Americans do not want to be in iraq, they want to go home, but it's our duty to clean up out BS that we left behind. The thing is that the iraqies do appreciate the U.S. from liberating them from saddam but hate our guts. WTF?! You dont thank some body and then tell them screw you, but he thats what the whole world does to us anyways. After losing so many men there was nothing to do but torture people t find what we wanted (WOMD) cuz I dont think it's right to risk so much on something and not getting anything in return. If the war was about oil WTF! is gasoline so expensive? You think we like fighting wars but, we dont. If you cant find what your looking for you find somebody else to help you or use them as a means of finding what or who you're looking for.

Enough of this thread. This is more like a flamewar now than just people expressing different views.

Edited by Agozer

Dude, your thinking is just flocked up. Let me put it in terms you'll understand: imagine if someone from Texas blew up a building in California, and the Californians retaliated by invading Arizona!

Now, does that make any sense to you?

Oh, I understand what you're saying. I agree with it too. But if these news braodcast's of American soldiers keep happening, if a nuke or 2 are dropped, I hope I see the flash from cali.

I hate your kind of thinking. "Yea, we know the guy is within that 8 mile radius; let's drop a nuke killing innocent people so that innocent people won't be killed!"

Cominus, just because he is anti-Bush, anti-"War On Terrorism", anti-Iraq invasion, makes him not an American citizen? I guess you love the U.S.A. Patriot Act. I live in Cali, and I am anti-Bush, anti-bull$hit war.

Anon.

I'll give you a hint: he was watching the only thing that's been on the news for the past 48 hours.

We dislike Al Qaeda !!! Al Qaeda R flocked morons !

Edited by Mr.X