Banner Blocker?

Inky

what is a good banner blocker? I use google toolbar for popups and it does good. but I am sick of banners! give me a link to a good FREE banner blocker please!

Proxomitron

It blocks all kinds of things. You can set it to block banners, flash animations, entire sites, etc. It can also do popups.

Add another vote for the Proxo. The default config will block ad banners by suspicious words in the image path or even common banner sizes.

If you get the Proxomitron, I highly recommend JD5000's config set. I use a mix of the default, his, and my own custom filters. JD hangs out at computercop.org in the forums ever since the long running Proxo forum was killed after Scott Lemon announced he wouldn't be updating Proxo anymore.

• 3 weeks later...

There's a page on the 'net somewhere that will give you a NICE hosts file. I don't recommend using this file on a windows box though, slows the hell out of it. It's great under Linux though... Just get a linux distro like smoothwall on a dedicated firewall box and replace /etc/hosts with the hosts file from the site, and you'll be set. I believe the site with the hosts file is linked to often on the smoothwall forums.

• 3 weeks later...

The best solution for banner blocking and general pop-up/ad blocking was to use the freeware Avant browser. It can block 99.9% of banner ads and pop-ups and replaces them with a 'Blocked by Avant' sign in place of the banner. This way u dont need to rely on outside software interacting with IE or whatever as it does it all for u.

As was mentioned, Firefox with relevant plug-in is also very good.

However, my personal fav has always been Opera...

:)