Which Browser Do You Use?

Which browser do you use?  

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm pretty much in control of the adware/spyware some some popups and certificates try to install because I've heavily restricted ActiveX object loading = Gives me more control...and there's always Google Toolbar.  :P

I don't sense much hostility, just different views; nothing wrong with that.

@Ugenn: Are you using a *NIX derivative, btw? Linux?

I'm on both Windows and Linux. Usually at the same time.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hostility?

Yes. :)

You're reading into it too much.

I might be... :P

This is an online forum where anyone and everyone can post masquerading behind some nickname.

I know, I've been here for quite some time now, and we have had our share of mean people here. Not saying that you're one of them. ^_^

Take a pinch of salt.

You're gonna have to explain that one to me. :)

IMHO, the best browser right now is Konqueror. But you'll need to switch your entire OS (I'm assuming you're on Windows or some variant)  to use it. The best browser on Windows (IMO again), would have to be Opera. I have had no problems with it so far. It's fast, small, doesn't pollute the registry with crap, handles those pesky popups, has an intuitive UI, mouse gestures, allows your browsing record (history/cache/urls etc) to be deleted easily (whether thru the browser UI, or by manually deleting files) and Opera Software (the company) has a fantastic track record of fixing bugs and no, I don't work for Opera Software, nor do I own stock.

Thanks! I might try it out. If it's that good maybe you should think about working for / owning their stock. :D

I use firefox and MyIE2.

Yea i know IE has flaws, which MyIE2 tries to eliminate, truth is sites are made for IE, and whether it is "correct" or not, IE is the best at rendering pages. But when i like some speed and customizeability, i use Firefox.

I'm sick of people always trying to compare browsers and OS`s. So what if IE6 tons of intarweb security problems? It friking works. And just you wait until Service Pack 2. Much better then this Service Pack 1 crap everyones using now.

I use Linux too, so I'm not totally out of the dark. Linux and it's variants are open security risks on their own because it's blessing is also it's curse. Open Source. Now, I love open source as much as the next guy, but there are somethings even I can't do (like frigging PATCH MY OWN OS with vunrabulities!)

I'm sick of people always trying to compare browsers and OS`s. So what if IE6 tons of intarweb security problems? It friking works. And just you wait until Service Pack 2. Much better then this Service Pack 1 crap everyones using now.

I use Linux too, so I'm not totally out of the dark. Linux and it's variants are open security risks on their own because it's blessing is also it's curse. Open Source. Now, I love open source as much as the next guy, but there are somethings even I can't do (like frigging PATCH MY OWN OS with vunrabulities!)

1. People make comparisons to determine which is the product best suited to their needs. This is a fact of consumer life, whether IT related or not.

2. "It frickin works"

That would really depend on your definition of "works", wouldn't it? Would you consider a system that advertised your personal, private info to the rest of the world as "working"?

3. Service Pack 2

I don't know how you arrived at the conclusion that SP2 would be better (are you an MS beta tester or maybe you have tried the release candidate?) but historically, MS service packs have been known to break compatibility and introduced problems of their own.

4. All systems have their share of security flaws. This is why exposing the source is more benificial than detrimental since the auditing becomes an open and transparent process. Anyone with the tech know-how can identify bugs (security related or otherwise) and fixes made efficiently. It is not surprising to find patches within hours after vulnerabilities are identified. Which other development model do you know of gives such high turn-around rate for bug fixes? Are you aware that the hole which was recently exploited by the infamous Sasser worm was first made public nearly half a year ago and only last month did MS provide a series of patches to address the issue?

Take a pinch of salt.

You're gonna have to explain that one to me. :P

I think it means that you shouldn't take things too seriously or believe that everything being said is automatically true...

I'm not a native english speaker, so feel free to correct me.

Yes I did now about the year old flaw that MS ignored until a virus came out (I KNOW, I WAS HIT by Sasser when I disabled my firewall). I keep my eye out too. I may not be as technologically advanced as you are by using Linux (I'm still learning it. I'm considered a noob at it). I'm just saying on a scale, people want it to just work, hassle free. Excluding what I think most of this board. People don't want to go through the updates, they don't want to download other browsers, they don't want to etc etc. I think IE6 rules, it's more effience than what I've used in the past and right now. I have a collection of browsers ranging from Opera too FireFox. I still find IE at the top because IT JUST WORKS for the 300,000 computer illiterate/non-illiterate people.

I'm running the SP2 Beta Build 2082 and my other computer is using RC2, both work great compared to SP1's current builds. I've just never got around to using any of the RCs on my comp since I'm lazy.

Of course they break. Theres a reason they address this issues. But sometimes it cannot be ignored. And like I said before about open source, it's both a curse and a blessing to those who are extreme.

And i'm out of this, I'm not up for another war.

It's like what Microsoft says for XP. It just works. Nothing more, nothing less.