Cps3, Naomi, Cvs

Hell, SNES isn't fully done yet.

What's unfinished with that?

Everything I can think of works fine...

The NES emulators though...all of mine run really slow and chop up my music. Someone should fix those first.

Some sound stuff isn't done yet. I don't know the names of the chips, but some aren't complete yet. But most of the stuff is done. It's called WIP for a reason, because there's more work to be done.

TO add a few things, just becuseeverything seems to run ok, doesn't mean that the emulator is perfect. For one, the grahics packs emulation/loading code is far from polished. Secondsly, the sound chip isn't fully emulated, including "proper" noise generation. (SquareSoft games are know to rape the SNES hardware when it comes to noise.)

Some games still require hacks to work porperly and SuperFX emulation is dodgy and slow, SA-1 chip has some timing issues and on the whole timing is imperfect.

Jeez, it sounds from that like the psx is better emulated than the snes!

Well, the actual timing is impossible to get 100% accurate. Since the clock rate of the original SNES wasn't always constant.

As far as I'm concerned...SNES emulation will be done when an SNES Emulator (hopefully ZSNES) will be able to play Star Ocean...

Dude, Star Ocean has been playable for over a year now.

What the sam hell are you talking about...no its not...I've upgraded ZSNES everytime there was one available on the developers site...and all I ever get is a glitchy mess...am I getting the wrong rom, or what...

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The NES emulators though...all of mine run really slow and chop up my music.  Someone should fix those first.

What kind of PC specs do you have? Because anytime an NES game plays slow its because you either have an extremely low amount of RAM or your CPU is too slow. What's the percentage the game is running at? If it's not in the high 90's, you may not have enough CPU power for both graphics and sound. Disable the sound and see if the gameplay runs at full speed. It's the same issue old PC games had, where sound completely bogged down the performance unless you disabled it.

Hell, SNES isn't fully done yet.

What's unfinished with that?

Everything I can think of works fine...

The NES emulators though...all of mine run really slow and chop up my music. Someone should fix those first.

Some sound stuff isn't done yet. I don't know the names of the chips, but some aren't complete yet. But most of the stuff is done. It's called WIP for a reason, because there's more work to be done.

TO add a few things, just becuseeverything seems to run ok, doesn't mean that the emulator is perfect. For one, the grahics packs emulation/loading code is far from polished. Secondsly, the sound chip isn't fully emulated, including "proper" noise generation. (SquareSoft games are know to rape the SNES hardware when it comes to noise.)

Some games still require hacks to work porperly and SuperFX emulation is dodgy and slow, SA-1 chip has some timing issues and on the whole timing is imperfect.

Jeez, it sounds from that like the psx is better emulated than the snes!

Well, the actual timing is impossible to get 100% accurate. Since the clock rate of the original SNES wasn't always constant.

As far as I'm concerned...SNES emulation will be done when an SNES Emulator (hopefully ZSNES) will be able to play Star Ocean...

Dude, Star Ocean has been playable for over a year now.

What the sam hell are you talking about...no its not...I've upgraded ZSNES everytime there was one available on the developers site...and all I ever get is a glitchy mess...am I getting the wrong rom, or what...

Oh yes it is, you just haven't been informed...

Star Ocean needs graphics packs to display graphics correctly, because of the S-DD1 chip it SO uses, uses compressed graphics. So ZSNES can show it on the fly and needs external packs.

All S-DD1 based games need graphics packs, you can get the SO ones form DeJap's site. Just follow the instructions in the Readme by the book and you should be fine. The next official release most likely has on-the-fly graphics decompression, rendering the packs useless.

Well, it's true anyway, I don't remember any console or portable emulation being perfect, then there will only be one emulator and no compability lists..... ^^

As for the SD-1 chip, what the guys at ZSNES are doing for now, cheating..... Graphics packs are used to replace the original graphics that as for now cannot be emulated properly.....

The PSX? Heck no, just trying playing Valkyrie Profile..... =P

Graphics packs are used to replace the original graphics that  as for now cannot be emulated properly.....

Wrong. The graphics packs contain the original graphics, the only reason the graphics emulation (directly from the rom) has taken so long is because the graphics are compressed in the chip (Genius move from Tri-Ace and one hell of a headache for dumpers).

On normal SNES carts, the graphics aren't compressed in any way.

Edited by Agozer

someone let me know when they get Weaponlord working right.

For those not knowing, Weaponlord was a 2D fighter published by Namco. it featured only 7 characters, had so-so animation (not too bad for the SNES though) and boring music. The weapons-based fighting system in this game is something I'd LOVE to see applied to a Samurai Shodown game though. The combo possibilities were limitless, and the game would speed up with more hits chained together.

Oh yeah, this game also recieved a pretty lenient rating from the ESRB. It only got a "T" and you could pull off sick stuff like ripping someone's intestines out, then decapitating them as they fell back, turning what's left of the corpse into a spraying bloodfountain, and, if you time it right, strike the head in mid-air, causing it to burst and send the brain to the ground. MK2 couldn't touch this game.

Heck, I'd just love to see a sequel.

At least I actually have the cartridge. :blink:

Agozer :

Umm..... Does that make a difference?

(PS. I'm an idiot.... :lol:

... I don't get your point....)

...And how we're they able to extract the game graphics (For graphics) but can't do it in emulation/realtime?

nezumi :

Ahhh... Weaponlord..... Yeah, it was a groundbreaking game at it's time, sadly, the game system just couldn't handle it (So most people labeled it slow, horrible controls and lackign animation as well....)...... Someone should make a remake of it at some point..... But the fatality system would be problematic (Especially if done in 3D)