Guilty Gear X2 Montreal Tournament

Alrite, first things first

"Sorry, I prefer you not take any [footage] of anything"
the organizer didn't want me to take any footage of the tournament so in respect, I didn't take any videos or pictures :(

Well, at this local tournament that happened in Cote-Des-Neige in Montreal today (9/5). There was King of Fighters `98 and Guilty Gear XX. About 25-30 people competeting, some were playing in both. No one famous. These are all local people.

First off GGXX, this was the main event, played on the PS2 (Bring your own stick or pad or use default PS2 one that was there). I came in first using Millia, second came Jason "Albatross" (A local who is a very good GGXX player) using Zappa and third place was Ryan "Mesun" using I-No. I got a GGXX poster, a KOF2k2 poster and 4 LITERS OF COKE! WHOO! For being in first place. In the Quarter Finals, someone got pulled for pausing the game. I mainly saw people use Johnny, Zappa, I-No, Kato, Chipp, Slayer, Bridget, Baikan and 1 more Millia player. People got pretty dominated during the Pre-Qualifier with one Baiken player.

Overall it was a kick ass main event

Top 3

1) Ian "yumeji Wizard" - Millia

2) Jason "Albatross" - Zappa

3) Ryan "Mesun" - I-No

Top 5

4) Methuene - Baiken

5) Daniel - Chipp

Top 8

6) Christopher "Heavy C!" - Chipp

7) Chris - Baiken

8) Jamie Bryant - Slayer

Honorable mentions:

Mike "Romulus" - Ky

Ryan "Kojiro" - Chipp

Now King of Fighters `98. My god, half the people there knew what their were doing, and others didn't. I didn't make it into the Final 4, but I got into the Semi-Finals (The final 8). I got owned so bad by the same Jason who won second place in the GGXX for the number 4 spot in the finals for KOF98. 2 chinese guys pretty much owned the whole tourney. I don't remember most of teams but the first place winner was Alex "Toshiro" using Daimon, Kim, and King, second place was Arwin (My cousin, which I didn't know was into KOF at ALL) with Iori, Daimon and Athena and finally in third was Andrew "Kambi" with Athena, Benimaru and Shermie These people are just insane to the max in KOF98. Especially Alex "Toshiro" and Andrew "Kambi," the 2 crazy chinese players from Sherbrook. My cousin barely made it past Andrew. Prizes for 1st were the same as the GGXX one, except they gave him Pepsi. 2nd place was a KOF2k2 poster, 2 liters of Pepsi, 3rd place was 2 liters of Sprite.

Overall

Top 3

1) Alex "Toshiro" - Daimon/Kim/King

2) Arwin - Iori/Athena/Daimon

3) Andrew "Kambi" - Athena/Benimaru/Shermie

Top 5

4) Jason "Albatross" - Sishu/Kyo/Iori

5) Christopher "Heavy C!" - Mai/Iori/Chang

Top 8

6) Daniel (not the same one in the GGXX) - Kim/Yoshiro/Heavy D!

7) Ian "yumeji Wizard" - Kim/Iori/Mai

8) Ryan "Kojiro" - Kyo/Vice/Kim

As you can see, I came in 7th. I suck in KOF98 it seems. Both the GGXX and KOF98 tourneys were intense. KOF98 was played on the dreamcast using Arcade sticks.

The event was great for about 28 people, I came for the UMK3 and GGXX, but they didn't have UMK3 so I opped for playing in the KOF98 tourney. Pizza and lots of soft drinks were served. My cousin, Kojiro and Romulus all came with me to compete also. It seems my cousin and my self come out somewhat on top. There was a KOF2k1 and SC2 exhibition match with a few people playing, coming and going. It was a great day, but once again, I'm sorry I couldn't take any footage of the event at all. The organizer said they might have another one as early as August, and I asked if I can tape the matches and such, he said yes.

Part 1 of The New Saint Glory tournament will be coming sometime next week depending on how I can get my computer fixed so it can render video. Thats the end of my tournament round up. It's rare to have one of these events in Montreal, it was small, but it kicked ass!

Wow this tourny sounds pretty bootlegg but anyways, they had a MvsC2 tournament in my local arcade but i didnt get to register and i think they were gonna have another one but i think they cancelled it cuz i dont think enough people signed up.

A bit off topic dashy..

Are you attending Evolution 2004 ? just so if you dont know, its a once in a year time fighting game tournament where held hundreds of competitors all around the world. GGX is gonna be played there as well :unsure:

I'm planning to eventually go to Evo. But I won't be able to make it to this year's because I'll be working. Next year or the year after I'll be able to go to Cali and enter.

A bit off topic dashy..

Are you attending Evolution 2004 ? just so if you dont know, its a once in a year time fighting game tournament where held hundreds of competitors all around the world. GGX is gonna be played there as well :unsure:

I went to a big tourny in socal a few years back I don't think it was EVO tho. it was crazy as hell, I got owned pretty quickly. heheh.

@K'dash: good reporting bro! if we can get enough tourny goers to report maybe we can have a sticky tourny news thread. one less reason to go to SRK heheh.

The only reason I go to SRK is because the information. Then I found out that most of them are jerks. Funny at times, but man, those people can flame.

The only reason I go to SRK is because the information. Then I found out that most of them are jerks. Funny at times, but man, those people can flame.

exactly! I go for news and strats sometimes. I registered and then started looking at the topics and decided never to post over there.

SRK is good for info on CvS2, SF3:TS, and MvC2, but other than that they tend to be biased toward Capcom games (it's a SF site afterall) and many people love to get into flame wars. Entertaining to lurk around once in a while though; and it can be a good place to get in touch with some of the country's top players.

Anyway, I enjoyed reading your account on the tournaments. 25-30 people are a hell of a lot of folks to be competing in GGXX (especially considering this isn't Japan).

I always sign up for the local GGXX tourney here, but it has a bad habit of getting canceled. We struggle to even get eight players to attend; and sometimes they'd sign up but not even show up! For such a small base of players, a number of them play at a very high level though and it's always fun to play against them.