Game Engines

Quake 4 will be done by Raven (did Hexen 1/2 and Heretic 1/2) using the Doom 3 engine last I read. From the preliminary pictures I've seen, it looks like it's a sequal to Quake 2. I kinda wish they'd make a sequal to Quake 1, oh well :huh:. Why did John Romero have to go and leave id to make (yeuch) Daikatana and then leave Ion Storm after having hurt it so. I wonder if Nelno the Amoeba (don't remember real name), the author of Zeus & Cujo bot plus many other mods like the BFG for Quake 1, is still with Ion Storm.

Edit: K'dash, I agree with you about the MK3 engine. It was probably used for UMK3 (arcade &/or Saturn) and possibly for MKT (PSX/PC/N64/Saturn).

Edited by StriderSkorpion

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The SNES/Genesis ports of UMK3 suck so much because everything was totally degraded. The Saturn version is the only one I feel that was truely like the Arcade version since they didn't degrade a whole lot of it, just changing a few fatalties here and there and bugs. UMK3 engine is based on MK3 which in turn, was the same one used in MKT.

Edit: But in MKT they added 1 more thing, which was the AGGRESSION bar.

Edited by K`dash

Quake 4 will be done by Raven (did Hexen 1/2 and Heretic 1/2) using the Doom 3 engine last I read.  From the preliminary pictures I've seen, it looks like it's a sequal to Quake 2.  I kinda wish they'd make a sequal to Quake 1, oh well :(.  Why did John Romero have to go and leave id to make (yeuch) Daikatana and then leave Ion Storm after having hurt it so.  I wonder if Nelno the Amoeba (don't remember real name), the author of Zeus & Cujo bot plus many other mods like the BFG for Quake 1, is still with Ion Storm.

Oh what are you talking about man!! Daikatana r0ck3d my b0x3rs! I was John Romero's biatch (I hope people get that joke)!

Yeah, sometimes companies build upon their engines for new games. In fact, I believe that happened with the BUILD engine too :(. Anyways, MKT was the pinnacle of that series 2D graphics wise, IMO.

Edit: Heh, that reminds me of a mach (sp?) interview someone "had" with Romero. If only I knew the URL... :(

Edited by StriderSkorpion

Yeah more games need to use other people game engines. Like the new Legacy of Kain: Defiance. I dont know for sure but i think and it looks like it uses the first devil may cry engine, and if you've played the devil may cry and any of the old soul reaver games you know what a treat this is. Sould Raver=Good Story and ideas, Devil May Cry:Nice Motion blur and fighting system. Think Ninja Gaiden.

Eh, Ninja Gaiden's engine is a heck of a lot better than Devil May Cry's. Not that I don't thing the game looks great or isn't cool (in fact I think it's very cool :(), it just doesn't compare. I find it odd that Eidios (sp?) would purchase an older engine from Capcom so I doubt it *for now* until I see further proof :(.

Oh what are you talking about man!! Daikatana r0ck3d my b0x3rs! I was John Romero's biatch (I hope people get that joke)!

"Wanna hear a joke?"

"Daikatana"

"Took my punchline damnit!"

also k'dash keep dem GGx vids comin
Yeah, my comp is having some trouble rendering video in WMM. Sorry to have keep (most of) you waiting.

Doom.

Duke Nukem 3d - the opening of doors in a 2d engine looked great.

Final Doom - the map designers of Final Doom really pushed the Doom engine to the limit, it was great.

Rise of the Triad: some maps made you think the game was almost 3d

Half-Life

All the Quakes

Especially...

Q3A - I still think it is the prettiest and most amazing game graphics wise out there. I think it looks better than UT 2k3/2k4. Plus it doesn't require a power sucking PC to run it properly.