Does File Sharing Really Hurt The Music Biz?

Do you think it hurts the music industry to download their music for free?  

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

When you dont wat to pay anything at all for the songs is another matter though.  Don't know how their going to solve that  :lol:

even with out file sharing they can't stop that. people have been recording off the radio, video taping MTV, and bootlegging concerts forever. I have plenty of bootlegged concerts and taped mtv videos that to my knowledge (I've looked plenty) are not available on peer to peer.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When you dont wat to pay anything at all for the songs is another matter though.  Don't know how their going to solve that  :lol:

even with out file sharing they can't stop that. people have been recording off the radio, video taping MTV, and bootlegging concerts forever. I have plenty of bootlegged concerts and taped mtv videos that to my knowledge (I've looked plenty) are not available on peer to peer.

But how many people do this? I bet not enough to hurt the business. File sharing on the other hand...

I voted no, but I wish there was a "who cares? f*ck 'em" option. And here is why: first of all, do you notice that the only people who speak out about file-sharing are rich bastards? I mean MetallicA for crying out loud! They probably wipe their arses with $1000 dollar notes!

In fact, I think you'll find that alot of not-so-famous bands (even those signed by record labels) would be all for their music being shared. Firstly because, unless they're in the record companies buddy-list, they won't get any airplay on the radio (the record companies are too busy endlessly plugging britney Spears, or pink or whoever happens to be popular at the moment), and so if their music is shared it means they're reaching an audience that they wouldn't otherwise reach. Second of all, they can't rely on the record companies to advertise them (they're too busy plugging pink still), and so word-of-mouth is their best friend. Allright, that was kind of like the first reason, but anyway...

But here's the main reason: I am sick and tired of being treated like a consumer. For people who read the above article, did anyone else notice this quote:

said Jayne Charneski, formerly of Edison Media Research, who prepared a report last June that she said showed that 7 percent of the marketplace consists of people who download music and do not buy it.

Goddamn it! How can people who don't by CDs be considered part of the 'MARKETPLACE'??? That's all we are to these advertising and marketing boffins - customers. People who brainlessly shell out the bucks for the latest funky cd just because the record company poured millions of dollars into brainwashing people to buy it!!! THAT'S why I don't care if the record companies lose $1 or $1 billion to file-sharing! They bloody well deserve it for treating us like mindless consumers in the first place!

My Winamp list is a perfect example of that statment. I love live shows because the artists might alter lyrics or the music it self and play some covers (A Perfect Circle playing Master of Puppets :lol: and TROY'S SLACKS!).

I still buy albums, i would say about 1/4th of my MP3s are ripped from my own collection.

Some groups, like Radiohead say to embrace the internet as not some sort of underground and use it for live internet shows or make certain tracks avaliable to download for free. You can most concert bootlegs off a certain site that I don't remember.

Anyways, bootlegging was here way before the internet filesharing was.

I don't even buy CD's.  I think they can make enough money off of T-shirts and concerts.

You are totally correct on that one. Ask mosts bands and they will tell you that they don't get hardly anything from the sales of CD's.

They make their money doing concerts and selling stuff like shirts and other paraphenelia.

No filesharing doesn't hurt!!! I just bought the new D12 album even though I've had it on mp3 for a few weeks(by the way it's not that good, only Em's and Proof's lines are dope). If artists made better quality albums they'd get support in return. :lol:

Edited by BuRRdRinkA

I voted no, but I wish there was a "who cares? f*ck 'em" option. And here is why: first of all, do you notice that the only people who speak out about file-sharing are rich bastards? I mean MetallicA for crying out loud! They probably wipe their arses with $1000 dollar notes!

the worst thing about metallica is they use to be supporters of fans bootlegging concerts. they encouraged it. how is file sharing different? I dunno. :lol:

the worst thing about metallica is they use to be supporters of fans bootlegging concerts. they encouraged it. how is file sharing different? I dunno. :huh:

Their called hypocrites :(