Dreamcast Disk Drive Problems?

I just got my Dreamcast in today and was wondering if a not too quiet yet not too loud squeeling sound is normal. Also, when the disk spins it makes more noise that I expected. It makes noise like the disk is making contact with the actual unit.

What kind of sounds does your Dreamcast make when it reads a disk? Do I need to realign mine?

I'm just paranoid so this may just be normal, but I'm not so certain.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the DC is loud on it's own but what kind of loud? Like nails on a chock board? If so then your gd-rom needs to be aligned unless the noise come from when you play a bootlegg/back-up, cuz some back ups make a way lot of noise, bad rip i guess. If it makes a way lot noise on an original then yeah you probably need to align the thing, it's not hard, well i never actually did it but i followed the guied and just opened my dc just to see whats inside. Check out the little video that siba has on his guide, it reminds me of an XXX moive."lots of noise from hanling the camera"

I'll get a better listen at the sound tomorrow. Right now I'm studying for my Organic chem test tomorrow. So I'll post a more descriptive description of the sound.

But I'll tell you its not really loud. It just sounds like the disk is spinnign really really fast (which it is) but its just kind of unsettling.

But if I have to re align, I'll have to do that after finals.

Alright cool. The game which made the loud rotating sound was a GD-ROM but the one that squeeled a bit was my burned copy of the web browser.

And I noticed that the drive is sometimes really slow so when it loads, everything gets slow too. Does this happen to you? This happened when at the main Web Browswer screen, but it mainly went away after that.

Do any of your drives slow down significantly?

Haha, I was debating whether it was disk or disc but I guess disk won that round. But disc wins overall. :lol:

Edited by GryphonKlaw

I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but I don't *think* I've experienced that. Hmm, hopefully it's nothing serious because I've never heard of this before. I wouldn't think there's anything wrong, but since it's probably used, you never know... (sorry to leave ya hangin, but I'm fresh outta ideas).

It's pretty likely that it is just the game you are trying to play is more demanding on the drive but if you start getting weird disk spinning noises with all your games then it's possible that the GD-ROM motor is dying. It could be a bad burn but even some original games make crazy disk noise like Soul Calibur & Ecco the Dolphin. I seriously thought my Dreamcast was going to take off from the desk when I first played Ecco lol.

Anyway is it a high pitched whistley or whiney kind of noise? Try turning your Dreamcast upside down and see if that makes any difference. You might have to clean/adjust the lens but it is pretty easy if you use some of the detailed guides out there.

Edited by DreamCastLover

There is no whistling sound or any of that sort. I just burned and played Ikaruga and there was just some sound when the game first started and then nothing else.

And after my Web Browser was fully loaded, I didn't hear any loud sounds. Just the normal spinning and reading of it.

I also put in Tony Hawk 2 in and nothing out of the ordinary happened. I guess I was just being paranoid.

And on a totally unrelated note, I was shocked when I unRARed Ikaruga. It was a flocking 800 mb bin in an 18 mb RAR!! I was wondering why it was taking so long to unpack.

sounds pretty normal to me,

Backups seem to make a lot more noise than originals.

But if it was a problem with GD-ROM alignment, the DC wouldnt boot every game (if any) and probably would reset a lot.