Cursed Psx Iso's - Images Of The Hexxed Grasp!

Ok, let me tell you what happened to me today. While surfing on the web, I got bored and decided to check out some old bookmarks I had. Then, I thought I would check out www.romulation.net

I thought this site was great! It had PSX iso's and N64 roms, but recently it was down. However, today I realized that it was back and the PSX iso's were back! Overcome with sudden happiness, I download Final Fantasy 5 and Beyond the Beyond for the PSX. Then...this is where the nightmare starts...

After burning the images on 2 650 mb discs, I tried to boot the games on my Playstation 2 (Magic 2 chip). Then, none of the games would start up, and soon stupid error messages pop up. Now I bet your saying that, "Yo, Neomaster, maybe yoo better chek out your disc drive bro."

-Well let me tell you smart guy, it isn't my PS2 Disc drive. I just bought it and its brand spanking faboulous, it always worked before when I download Iso's from GOOD sites.

Then I was like, maybe the PS2 doesn't like reading 650mb discs, so I went back and burned FF5 on a 700. Now things really started to get scary! As soon as the burned game went into the PS2, it starts making this eery sound like there is a 5lb metal stuck in the drive preventing the disc to spin. I thought I accidently jammed the disc. So I tried it again! But nooooo, it starts making that nasty sound!

Then I went back to my spindle of games and grabbed a random game (SVC Chaos) and tried to boot it. 7 times and it couldn't boot up! I was like !*@Y#*@*!&*!($*&!*&$*!$((!*&

I was so scared that my 400 dollar (CAD) PS2 was broken because of that cursed disc with highly corrupt data! I almost broke down and cried, but soon I turned off the PS2 and re-tested it with SVC Chaos and Metal SLug 3 and it started to work normal again. Oh thank god I said.

So as a small piece of advice, do not download games from Romulation! They want your soul, but more importantly to destroy your PS2. Now I must tend to my PS2, and look after it as it rests from near death experiences.

Edited by NeoMaster

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cdmage is helpful to find and fix currupted sectors

maybe useing A120% would help too since it supports most major iso types.

Maybe it's not the ISOs, but you that's the problem? Maybe your touch has infected the CD-Rs and the PS2 knows when it's being poisoned? :P:) Seriously, though, use CDMage beta and check for errors in the images, like Weird said. If it doesn't have errors, maybe you really are cursed? :D

it could be one of those games that came in a zip or a rar or a.exe at 30mbs or so, then when extracted turned into 650mbs...if so, those games are f*cked up and have something ripped out

I don't know what they'd rip out of FF5, though. I guess it could have CDDA audio and that's what's been taken. It has FMVs, but not a whole lot. I don't think it'd be really worth it to rip or even downsample the movies or audio since the game shouldn't make a very big compressed file.

it could be one of those games that came in a zip or a rar or a.exe at 30mbs or so, then when extracted turned into 650mbs...if so, those games are f*cked up and have something ripped out

Yes, it did come in a 6 part.rar archive. I don't think the iso's were the problem (well i don't know, cursed either way) I did use nero and alcohol 120% and it didn't report any corrupt sectors. I just said the image was corrupt because it didn't work in the system.

But really, if it couldn't read or had missing parts, then it should just not boot...straight up. But to make this gross sound like its dying from a total malfunction...well, its never happened before.

PS2's drive failures are quite common.......doesn't matter if you bought it yesterday.

A burnt disc that has errors will NOT be responsible for harming your drive, period.

Sounds to me like you just have a quirky drive, and if it's working again maybe the quirk came and went. For your sake, hopefully forever.

you know what? you are using an old chip, a magic 2, have you checked if your chip was on or off?, i mean, if you press the on button for about 6 or 8 secnds the you´ll be turning on or off your chip. Meybe it could be the cd you are using, i was recommended to use Ritek for dvds and memorex for cds. you check that out, besides, sony makes their consoles cheap so people have to buy another one, that was said about a year ago by the creator of Metal gear, forgot his name.

Oi, I think you people all think im a newbie to the iso scene...

Yes, I do always use Memorex for CD's, I have 4 spindels worth. It's quite hard to believe that the ps2 drive is the problem, only that particular ff5 iso that I burned on the memorex has that noise making problem. And just to be clear, im not saying that the disc made my drive malfuction, I only thought it did. Usually when I try to boot up cd's, it may need about 3-5 retries to finally boot, but it doesn't happen often. DVD"s boot instantly. I plain just don't understand how a burned disc with an psx image could create such a sound. Well, im never going to download from untrustly sites AGAIN.

@Cinder

I have to argue with you on that one. I do think that burned cd's could and can harm your ps2 drive. One time I had NBA Street Volume 2 for the ps2, and It had a loader and you had to choose if you want NTSC or Pal. Well after you chose an option, it would start to load and then a black screen appeared. After that, the PS2 starting revving up like a MUSTANG engine. That was also a scary incident but ill save that story for next time.

PS. Has anyone ever downloaded a PSX iso from Romulation? If so, can you tell me what happened when you tried to play it? If not, then I don't recommend you attempting it :lol:

Edited by NeoMaster