What's The Best Rom Utility To Use For Snes?

NEITHER! All the dats floating around for those rom utils are based soley on CRC values alone, and are incorrect.

Use GoodSNES (The REAL, command line based one) or you'll be sitting with an incorrect rom set.

NSRT does not use DATs. Many games in the GoodSNES set have currupt CRCs, just check ******** sets (those are GoodSNES sets). ;)

Yeah, sure they are.........using GoodSNES dats in Romcenter. (I've confirmed this in several ways) ;)

All this time ive been using Romcenter to audit my SNES ROMS but this morning i tried out NSRT for a bit and it seemed DOS-like but ill still try it and see if Agozer is right (LOL at reason #5 ;) )......

NSRT isn't DOS-based just because it looks like that. It's just command line-driven Win32 application (Like ZiNc for example).

Nach made a GUI version too, but that bugs out on my comp for some reason.

Nach has started working on the pure DOS version, thanks to old-schoolers like me. ;)

I'd say NSRT because it lets you do all sorts of things. It has a comercial only database (plus betas). It lets you trim overdumped roms in zip files seemlessly. It has fixes for some of the roms and it has a great interleaved detection. It calculates the CRCs like uCON64 does, so no problems with different headers or being interleaved. IJTF_Cinder, I've used GoodSNES to check some of the roms (not using CRC32 option) from ******** and it misdetected some. It detected the Super Pro Figther Q+ BIOS that they have as an actual rom when it isn't. The file is way too small to be a rom. Plus it detected the fudged up rom WWF Super Wrestlemania (J) as being correct when it's not.

I'd say NSRT because it lets you do all sorts of things. It has a comercial only database (plus betas). It lets you trim overdumped roms in zip files seemlessly. It has fixes for some of the roms and it has a great interleaved detection. It calculates the CRCs like uCON64 does, so no problems with different headers or being interleaved. IJTF_Cinder, I've used GoodSNES to check some of the roms (not using CRC32 option) from ******** and it misdetected some. It detected the Super Pro Figther Q+ BIOS that they have as an actual rom when it isn't. The file is way too small to be a rom. Plus it detected the fudged up rom WWF Super Wrestlemania (J) as being correct when it's not.

All the Goodxxx dats, and other programs that check your console roms are derived from the command line based Goodxxx programs. If you scan something with GoodSNES (The real tools not some flockin dat or other scanner) it's the way it should be, not incorrect.

There are also TOSEC sets for some consoles too, but they are generally lacking certain files that can be found in the Goodxxx sets.

The real deal Goodxxx scanners are where these people who write dats for Romcenter etc get their values from, so if you scan rom(s) with the actual Good Tools, and it comes up with something different, it's your OTHER scanner that is wrong, not GoodSNES for instance.

First off, if you are one of the several websites who are ripping off

my hard work and making.dat files from GoodSNES, STOP IT NOW, you are

doing everyone a great disservice, and I will make sure everyone knows

how crappy you are. GoodSNES is much more than a pile of crc values, so

ANY.dat will always be inferior to using the original GoodSNES.

Nuff said

Nope, wasn't a dat. The file wasn't even a rom. The Good tools can be deceived sometimes. The 16KB file at ******** reporting to be the SPF Q+ BIOS is not a rom at all. GoodSNES thinks it is, but neither uCON64 or NSRT recognize it as a rom. GoodSNES isn't a bad tool, but it isn't the best. NSRT is hella better. Sorry to say this Cinder, but you're living in the Iron Age of rom tools.

Nope, wasn't a dat.  The file wasn't even a rom.  The Good tools can be deceived sometimes.  The 16KB file at Planet Emulation reporting to be the SPF Q+ BIOS is not a rom at all.  GoodSNES thinks it is, but neither uCON64 or NSRT recognize it as a rom.  GoodSNES isn't a bad tool, but it isn't the best.  NSRT is hella better.  Sorry to say this Cinder, but you're living in the Iron Age of rom tools.

My point exactly. Thank you for clearing this out, SS. :spam:

Edited by Agozer