Excessive Grabbing Is Cheap!

My philosophy is that everything that is in the game should be used in the most effective way to win. In a good game there is always an answer to every tactic, if you are tired of getting thrown in KOF games think of a tactic that will prevent it. If a game does not offer any chance of countering a certain move/tactic then it's a bad game and not worthy of being played.

There is no such thing as cheap in a good game.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kaoishade, please list some 2D fiighters with reversals for sweeps and throws (or did you mean reversing thorws by pushing a button at the right moment, so that the character breaks free?)....just for future reference.

Don't list SF3 or KOF-style AB rolls.:lol:

Edited by Agozer

I already listed two games that have counters for sweeps.

In third strike, a low parry will completely screw up a sweep. You enemy's attack will be stunned for a second, allow you to basically get a free hit (or hell even a super move for some characters) at no extra rick.

The same could be said for capcom vs snk 2. K and P grooves both allow advanced defending. K groove even punishes opponents for excessive repeated movements by giving you energy back on a successful parry/just defend.

Guilty Gear XX/#R has perfect guard. Any attack, whether it be sweep or any other attack, they will be pushjed away, by the amount of pixel reach their sweep has, effectivemy making any future attempts at a sweep impossible, unless they walk foward and try to sweep you again, in which case you are ready for them at this point.

King of fighters 2002 has the CD attack. simply block their sweep, and then CD them. they will get knocked back across the screen.

Capcom vs SNk has the same thing.

King Of Fighters 2003 has the assist tag, if you get swerpt once, start doing the motion for the tag assist. timed right as soon as you get up, the tag assist WILL take priority over the sweep and give you a free combo.

Even for games that dont have "special" reversals, just use a wake up super move.

Even back in the old street fighter games, a simple dragon punch will snuff a sweep from just about anyone.

[snip]

Guilty Gear XX/#R has perfect guard. Any attack, whether it be sweep or any other attack, they will be pushjed away, by the amount of pixel reach their sweep has, effectivemy making any future attempts at a sweep impossible, unless they walk foward and try to sweep you again, in which case you are ready for them at this point.

By perfect guard, you mean instant block or faultless defense?

(I mostly play GGXX now -- more than any other fighters -- so I can help out if anyone has questions.)

Anyway, getting knocked down from a sweep in GGXX can lead to serious damage or a 50/50 guessing game upon wakeup. But there's also pressure strings that people need to look out for and get out of. Green block (i.e. faultless defense) pushes the opponent back a bit, so this can help you get out of pressure strings -- or if you have at least half a tension (i.e. meter) built up, you can use dead angle (forward k+s) to knock the opponent back.

For reversals, it really depends on the character used, but as kaioshade mentioned, wakeup supers are a useful remedy -- just don't get predictable, or you'll get baited. Also you can wakeup grab the opponent if they're stupid enough -- or careless -- to run up right next to you as you are getting up from a knockdown.

If your opponent is spamming the same move (grab, sweep, whatever) over and over again, then that really tells you that you're dealing with a moron who knows crap about the game. But for those who keep falling for the same obvious idiotic moves...... Well, it's time to examine your gameplan -- or if you even have one.

But yeah, if anyone plays GGXX seriously here, maybe we can discuss some stuff. :D

If your opponent is spamming the same move (grab, sweep, whatever) over and over again, then that really tells you that you're dealing with a moron who knows crap about the game. But for those who keep falling for the same obvious idiotic moves...... Well, it's time to examine your gameplan -- or if you even have one.

Indeed, faultless defense pushes the opposing chracter back a bit. But your oppodent could take those wake ups to his advantage by comboing you into oblivion, then again, if all he does is sweep you at the wake up, something is terribly wrong with your plan. They have Emergency escape for a reason. In doing so, it leaves them open to infinity/kick their butt/give you time.

Definitely, sweeping in ggxx can lead to some serious combo opportunities. however, if he is talking about repeated sweeping, then the player prob isnt a good player. a good player would combo you out of the sweep. a scrub would try to sweep over and over, and thus would prob be more susceptible to wakeup tactics.

And yes i did mean faultless defense. i just have a habit of calling it perfect guard.

Dead angle attacks are very useful...IF you have the tension to spare. Also a surprise wakeup burst can be a deadly tool if used right. Not much damage but an instant full tension bar could easily tuen the tides into your favor.

Its good to talk strategies with fellow fighting game fanatics.

Damn...I need to learn all these strategies so I don't keep getting my ass kicked. I'm such a n00b... :lol:

We all start out as n00bs. Nothing wrong with that. What separates 'scrubs' from the rest is whether the player is willing to honestly look at their mistakes and figure out how to overcome, hence adapt and improve. The key trait of a scrub is that they have this mental block, an attitude that says it's never their fault for losing, it's always the other guy's fault thus they never learn and improve.

So yeah, don't feel bad Gryph. :D

Anyway, for those who play GGXX, who are your main characters? I use Faust and for my secondary, I use Sol.

Also, I know I've posted this link here before but just in case anyone wants to check out some match vids. http://www.lehmus.net/ggxx/

I got more links if anyone's interested. MIRC is also a good place to find vids of top players.

Cheers.

As much as I hate the game, I can own it up with Millia and Chipp. I should tape a match between my friend and I. We are both Chipp and can predict almost all the time what are we going to do.

Damn...I need to learn all these strategies so I don't keep getting my ass kicked. I'm such a n00b... :(

We all start out as n00bs. Nothing wrong with that. What separates 'scrubs' from the rest is whether the player is willing to honestly look at their mistakes and figure out how to overcome, hence adapt and improve. The key trait of a scrub is that they have this mental block, an attitude that says it's never their fault for losing, it's always the other guy's fault thus they never learn and improve.

So yeah, don't feel bad Gryph. :lol:

Anyway, for those who play GGXX, who are your main characters? I use Faust and for my secondary, I use Sol.

Also, I know I've posted this link here before but just in case anyone wants to check out some match vids. http://www.lehmus.net/ggxx/

I got more links if anyone's interested. MIRC is also a good place to find vids of top players.

Cheers.

I've been checking out FAQs and stuff and I can pull off some decent combos now. :D But I'm no where near you guys in skill.

But in time, I shall get better. I definitely know that I'm not a scrub. I blame myself for every loss. Unless the opponent is really cheap.