The Origin Of "spam"

:spam::P:spam::(:spam:

I'm sure we've all wondered in the back of our minds why multiple-posts or bulk emails are called "spam". How did a term for a brand of processed meat turn into a term for internet abuse? Well, that question popped into the front of my mind a few minutes ago so I went to find out. I found this page here; The Origin of Spam. It's actually quite interesting. If you're too busy to read this site and are still curious; the term apparently came from a Monty Python sketch: you've probably heard it, you know the one at a cafe which serves spam in every dish. So the waiter starts saying things like, "We've got spam, spam, spam, spam, tomatoes and spam." Eventually some vikings (don't ask) start chanting "spam spam spam spam" until everyone tells them to shut up. Long story short, from that sketch, the term became known as a way of describing a message or messages repeated so often as to become irritating; ie junk e-mail.

Edited by random guy

Hell I always thought it came from the fact, that all of what is contained in the food (yuck, how can you even call it food?) is all the useless bi-product crap that is BARELY suitable for human consumption.......making it compareable to the useless crap junk mail/posts you get on the internet.

I have never ever met anyone who has aten SPAM before...I wonder what it tastes like....

:(  :P  :spam:

We don't even have spam in this country....the edible one, that is.

I'll have spam spam spam egg spam sausage spam baked beans and spam!!

BUT I DON'T LIKE SPAAAAM!!!

-----------

Man I love that sketch. Its definitely up there with the Lumberjack song, the Dead Parrot, and The Spanish Inquisition!