Anti-hacker Advice

lacien

OK, my little brother just had a baby but him and the girl are not together now. Of course he plans on doing everything he can to support his daughter but the mother is one crazy girl and has been bugging the crap out of me and my parents. The biggest problem is her dad and some other guy constantly threatening to "hack" mine and my parent's computers.

I'm on a dialup and running anti-virus and firewall programs all the time, so I don't think there's much that could happen, but is there anyother precautions I could be taking? It's getting really annoying worrying about my computer anytime I'm sleeping and my brother happens to get online. I don't know how capable these guys are, all they've managed to do that I know of so far is hack my brother's email and instant messenger accounts.

I do get port-scanned atleast once a week lately, sometimes more. But as far as I know, nothing is getting through.

Cool, I'll have to check those out. Right now for firewall software I'm using Blackice, and for anti-virus I'm stuck with Antivir personal edition till I can get out and get something better.

First off, change your passwords for your AIM accounts to something VERY hard. Make them long, at least 10 characters, letter's, number's, and also special characters like (#, $, %, ^, &, *). Write your passwords down in a safe place and hide them where no one can see.

I also suggest getting Tiny Personal Firewall, Trillian Pro, Sygate Personal Firewall, Norton Anti-Virus Professional, McAfee Anti-Virus/Anti-Hacker Pro, something that will monitor everything that opens in and out of your PC. You want the entire einchalada. Also, I'd recommend calling the FBI to get these little parents fined or sue their asses. They are obviously threating you and if you can get a IP address and some screen shots, maybe even a screen video capture, you can make lots of cash.

Also get a hardware firewall, aka a Router, a good one. Not some cheap Linksys, I'm talking sturdy, 256BIT Encryption. Something that would take YEARS to crack. Make your passwords always as long and hard as possible. You might want to report your ISP about this too. Do Window's Update's, ALWAYS. Do it everyday if possible, makesure there isn't one exploit flying around your PC. Search for Spyware as well as much as you can and makesure there is thing's monitoring that nothing is capturing your keystrokes.

Anymore stuff I might tell you, might jeapordize my own security, since they are hardcore, and can not be told to anyone or I might have to erase your memory. So good luck. :lol::P

First off, change your passwords for your AIM accounts to something VERY hard. Make them long, at least 10 characters, letter's, number's, and also special characters like (#, $, %, ^, &, *). Write your passwords down in a safe place and hide them where no one can see.

I also suggest getting Tiny Personal Firewall, Trillian Pro, Sygate Personal Firewall, Norton Anti-Virus Professional, McAfee Anti-Virus/Anti-Hacker Pro, something that will monitor everything that opens in and out of your PC. You want the entire einchalada. Also, I'd recommend calling the FBI to get these little parents fined or sue their asses. They are obviously threating you and if you can get a IP address and some screen shots, maybe even a screen video capture, you can make lots of cash.

Also get a hardware firewall, aka a Router, a good one. Not some cheap Linksys, I'm talking sturdy, 256BIT Encryption. Something that would take YEARS to crack. Make your passwords always as long and hard as possible. You might want to report your ISP about this too. Do Window's Update's, ALWAYS. Do it everyday if possible, makesure there isn't one exploit flying around your PC. Search for Spyware as well as much as you can and makesure there is thing's monitoring that nothing is capturing your keystrokes.

Anymore stuff I might tell you, might jeapordize my own security, since they are hardcore, and can not be told to anyone or I might have to erase your memory. So good luck. :lol::P

Lmao! that's some hardcore paranoia :lol:

Thanks, I really appreciate all the replies. I did the security scans and whatnot and came out not too bad, but not perfect. After doing some reading I tried doing a netstat (if anyone is familiar with that). Kinda freaked out because I have about a dozen ports listening it seems..I'm not too good with what it all actually means because I've become such a slacker when it comes to computers, but I definitely don't like what I see..LOL. Anyway, thanks again for everyone's suggestions.

Thanks, I really appreciate all the replies. I did the security scans and whatnot and came out not too bad, but not perfect. After doing some reading I tried doing a netstat (if anyone is familiar with that). Kinda freaked out because I have about a dozen ports listening it seems..I'm not too good with what it all actually means because I've become such a slacker when it comes to computers, but I definitely don't like what I see..LOL. Anyway, thanks again for everyone's suggestions.

Netstat does tell what's connected to your computer, but you can't really read from that. That's why I suggest getting a program like Tiny Personal Firewall which will tell you what those programs are and what are using the internet. :lol::P

Lmao! that's some hardcore paranoia :lol:

...thats Gamecop for ya

• 2 weeks later...
OK, my little brother just had a baby but him and the girl are not together now. Of course he plans on doing everything he can to support his daughter but the mother is one crazy girl and has been bugging the crap out of me and my parents. The biggest problem is her dad and some other guy constantly threatening to "hack" mine and my parent's computers.

I'm on a dialup and running anti-virus and firewall programs all the time, so I don't think there's much that could happen, but is there anyother precautions I could be taking? It's getting really annoying worrying about my computer anytime I'm sleeping and my brother happens to get online. I don't know how capable these guys are, all they've managed to do that I know of so far is hack my brother's email and instant messenger accounts.

I do get port-scanned atleast once a week lately, sometimes more. But as far as I know, nothing is getting through.

You shouldn´t be worried, you said they hacked the email right?, meybe when ur brother was at using a common pc to them, they managed to keep msm to remember the password and so that´how they hacked it, why haven´t thay hacked anything else yet? wouldn´t you do it if you have the knowledge?, also if they keep bothering just tape them or record any conversation so you can acuse them with proves, else, well, don´t tell anyone but... i know someone that for a few bucks...... just kidding <_<

Besides, if you are on dial up, doesn´t dial up change the ip every time you connect? how can they hack a changing ip? that´s you best weapon.

Edited by lancerx