The Matrix Meets Everquest?

WoW is a different genre than Matrix Online will be, though.  I think WoW will be a great MMORPG (or at least I hope so), but it's in the style that Everquest and Ultima Online are in.  Matrix Online will more closely resemble Star Wars Galaxies, IMO, but that doesn't mean it will be good or bad.

But they still have to compete with one another. People aren't going to pay 2 or 3 monthy subscriptions to a game. And if Matrix Online is anything like Star Wars Galaxies, it will suck big time.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WoW is a different genre than Matrix Online will be, though.  I think WoW will be a great MMORPG (or at least I hope so), but it's in the style that Everquest and Ultima Online are in.  Matrix Online will more closely resemble Star Wars Galaxies, IMO, but that doesn't mean it will be good or bad.

If it closely resembles Star Wars Gakaxies, that means it will be bad.

We're hoping AGAINST that.

LordKanti, that's not what I mean by that. I mean it will a futuristic/scifi MMORPG rather than a fantasy one. GryphonKlaw, you're right about the subscription part, but if WoW blows the next generation of fantasy MMORPGs away (and maybe the older ones too), people will be more likely to stop playing those games. Thus, they'll be more open to the Matrix Online. If it wasn't for the subscription part, there wouldn't competition between the two.

Well, it was ditched by Ubi and picked up by another company.

The Matrix Online is going to be for all the fanboys who wished the Matrixe didn't end. God get over it. 2 movies and 1 game later, it deemed as one of the worst. thing. ever. I don't believe the hype on this.

The Matrix Online is also a Fantasy game. Sci-Fi/futuristic is a sub-genra to Fantasy in general means. Replace things in a Fantasy Realm with Guns, and certain skills with a dash of "hacking" (Or magic or mana or mp wtv) and you got this game.

WoW beta will now last another 6 months for more feedback information and testing other races/classes (They aren't all avaliable at the moment). People will stop playing those(Fantasy) games? They've proven to be much better then the rest of other MMORPG. EverQuest (After 6? Expansions, It is still the top selling MMORPG out there today), ShadowGate, Final Fantasy XI, Ultima - All fantasy based(with Hack n Slash and magic and wtv) and have outlast the latter version of the Sci-Fi. Galaxies isn't that great, E&B was shut down and various others that pay2play have failed or are currently struggling right now.

Now back to my hockey (Montreal vs Boston in OT2 :-D)

Everquest will 0wn all other MMORPGs. So far only WoW has a chance just because its Warcraft. Ultima X is going to fail most probably, and so will most others. They're are waaaay to many MMO games coming out so people don't know what to get, and more importantly what to pay monthly for. They'll stick with the proven Everquest brand.

The Matrix: Revolutions blew. I saw a trailer for the game last E3 and it looks like it will blow too. The Matrix is dead. Reloaded, Revolutions, and the craptacular Enter the Matrix killed it.

The Matrix should just stay in its grave and not keep trying to resurrect itself.

I really don't like the matrix either. The fighting in it is way to fake for me. But the story line is ok I guess.

The Matrix: Revolutions blew. I saw a trailer for the game last E3 and it looks like it will blow too. The Matrix is dead. Reloaded, Revolutions, and the craptacular Enter the Matrix killed it.

The Matrix should just stay in its grave and not keep trying to resurrect itself.

I really don't like the matrix either. The fighting in it is way to fake for me. But the story line is ok I guess.

Too fake? Isn't it supposed to be fake?

Too fake? Isn't it supposed to be fake?

The Matrix is real. The Matrix has you. GWAHAHAHAAHAHAA!

But seriously, the one thing I didn't like about the Matrix trilogy is that it brought about the awakening of what I like to call Evangelical Techno Dorks who dress like the characters and have names online names like NeoMorpheusTrinityXcool.

K'dash, I was only saying if. It could blow some of the others away as EverQuest and Ultima Online series are getting old. I don't know about EverQuest 2, though. You could think of Matrix Online like a mix between City of Heroes and Sims Online. Both of which are MMOGs, but not exactly RPGs. I personally don't think there'll be a big market for the, especially after the failure of the first and lackluster support of the movies from the general population.