I Hate Society

What can I say? I can only speak for myself, my experiences, my beliefs regarding this (well, any) issue -- same is true for everyone else.

Glad High school is over. Not so much because of crap like the articles you've posted, but the thing I hated most about high school was that I was made to sit in class from eight in the morning till like 2:30 in the afternoon. All the while, having to put up with classes I've had no interest in, and/or classes that were much too mainstream and filled with government propaganda (I was in public school), and having to in class with students who I just could not identify with.

Kids around me were always yapping about this and that, about the latest gossip, who likes who (couldn't give a crap), who's hot, who was in the popular group and whatnot, blah blah. (Bored me to tears; and I was surrounded by this crap every day I was in school.)

Yeah, and let's not forget all that "teenage angst" that was just everywhere. Kids were obsessing over popularity, who's in what group, their test scores, etc. as if were a matter of life and death. Unfortunately, I never went through this "teenage angst" stage (or maybe it's not so unfortunate), and more and more as time passed, I grew apathetic about the whole high school environment, and more and more, there was this great gap between I and my fellow students -- I just could no relate with their concerns and problems.

While most of my peers were struggling with these very serious issues of life and death. I was on the sideline with my interests in philosophy and video games -- LOL, yeah, somehow they don't really mix, but I could always talk about videogames with the other kids. LOL

Throughout high school, I did my own thing; I didn't give a f#$k about what was being taught in school (my grades were always poor), and didn't give a f#@k about the other students.

I still graduated in four years though, like most students. But I never bothered to attend the graduation ceremony, or even take a picture for my yearbook, cuz I just care and they are not a big issue. I went into the school office and picked up my diploma a week after the ceremony -- that's it, my four years of boredom and routine was over.

Now that I'm in college, it's not as bad since you have more freedom in choosing your classes, and you can freely make your own schedule. Also, I'm getting straight As in class cuz now I'm actually trying. Perhaps, all along, I just needed more personal freedom -- you definitely don't get that in high school.

So what's the point behind my long ramblings? Not sure. Perhaps to point out how my individual experiences in high school were much different from the viewpoint the articles took with the example of those two kids, and yet how I too never gave a damn about high school -- just for different reasons though.

The sad thing is, crap like "unfairness" from the whole issue of popularity and...uh...unpopularity never really goes away -- even after high school. It just takes a different form and it's just placed into a different context, and that's it.

P.S. I had to watch The Breakfast Club in high school for my required (what's not reguired in high school? heh) counseling or something class. What's the name of that class that talks about drugs, peer pressure, sex ed., and all that crap? Yeah, that class. Hated the movie? Why? Guess you haven't payed much attention to my post. Read above for general idea -- yeah, I know it's long. LOL

P.P.S. Jiddu Krishnamurti. Anyone heard of him? That guy is amazing. I've been reading some of his writings and they're incredible. Anyone interested in a link with one of his writings, let me know. But what are the chances of that, right? This is an *emulation* board! LOL

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, maybe I just don't live in society anymore - viva counter culture - but i don't see any of that bull#$@! anymore - especially at college, where if you do what a lot of people did through high-school, you'll fail quicker than you can say "HECS debt".

Haven't you guys seen 'bowling for columbine?' listen to what both Maralyn Manson and Matt Stone say. They're two VERY successful people, and they were both losers in high-school. More to the point, Matt Stone said something like "I felt like grabbing them [the trenchcoat mafia] by their collars and shaking them, and saying, "Highschool isn't like real life. This'll all be over in 4 years".

It was funny - in Canberra, we do years 11 12 in a different school, called "college" and there were students from ALOT of different schools coming together those years. By the end of year 12, we had a "group", which consisted basically of all the people not in the "popular group" from 4 different highschools. In the end it became a group the size of, if not bigger than, one of those groups. We occupied a whole seating area, and everyone at the school knew that that was OUR area (every group had its own area, just like in high school). But that was about the only feature of high-school that carried over. We had freedom to come and go as we please, and we went out every weekend (and many weeknights). I got very, very drunk those two years, many, many times. And I learned more, and grew more, in those two years than at four years in highschool.

nd I thought the breakfast club was cool.

Haven't you guys seen 'bowling for columbine?' listen to what both Maralyn Manson and Matt Stone say. They're two VERY successful people, and they were both losers in high-school. More to the point, Matt Stone said something like "I felt like grabbing them [the trenchcoat mafia] by their collars and shaking them, and saying, "Highschool isn't like real life. This'll all be over in 4 years".

No one here said that high school is like real life. But it is a sample of the kinds of shallow people and problems you'll meet in real life.

And you never answered my question on the previous page...I'm waiting for it.

Edited by GryphonKlaw

No one here said that high school is like real life. But it is a sample of the kinds of shallow people and problems you'll meet in real life.

Actually, I'm pretty sure a couple people HAVE said high school is at least similar to real life.

Actually, I'm pretty sure a couple people HAVE said high school is at least similar to real life.

Oh...ok. Then I'm wrong. :blink:

Oh...ok. Then I'm wrong. :blink:

Highschool is a part of life, so it is real. But it's only a phase in our lifetime, n it does not mirror SOCIETY, which is what u guys r talking about. Highschools tend to have their own society, a sheltered environment where all those stupid things affect yur life at that point in time. Still, it's possible for good things there too.

High School was pretty ok in my book. We didn't have such harsh categories either. Then again, I've never understood the american school system and the values behind it.

High School was pretty ok in my book. We didn't have such harsh categories either. Then again, I've never understood the american school system and the values behind it.

I loved my second high school. My first one (the Catholic high school) sucked major ass. But at my public boarding school, we were all geeks and freaks. :P And we had cool cliques that mostly all got along and mixed together. But there were sometimes huge rivalries which were always fun. :-?

Grifffinklaw, I thought you were being rhetorical. But here are the quotes that made me think that, I'm not sure if it was this one that convinced me...

But I agree with K'Dash, such heirarchies must exist for this society to function properly. There will always be the popular ones and the not so popular ones. The haves and the have-nots. Stratification gives society goals to reach that higher realm of society.

or this one....

High school is just a drop in the pond compared to the kind of favouritism you'll see in real life

(I might have been paraphrasing slightly there but that's because I could only copy and paste one quote)

but they both had an effect!