It's Official...

Sonic and Mario represented a generation. Our generation.

All you got now is that guy from GTA:Vice City and Ratchet and Clank, pathetic. :) Nothing memorable...

I wouldn't go as far as saying this gen has been unmemorable....far from it...but nothing will ever beat the Mario vs Sonic arguements that many people had....

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does a good game system makes it selling good or does the advertising do?

I think both of those contribute to the sales.

Edited by Agozer

I just picked up gt4:prologue and I must say I am not impressed. PGR2, hell even midnightclub looks better. sony fanboys flame all you want but if it weren't for smackdown, GGX2 and Macross I wouldn't play my ps2 at all right now. before anyone spazzes out I've got all the systems exept GC, I had one but sold it after I beat zelda and metroid.

that's cool, if I read this article 4 years ago when ps2 was new and I was still in HS i'd be jumpin up and down like a school girl. Butt now, whatever... I know ps2 is the best so yeah :D

even though my ps2 has been broken since 2002... ha ha

I had some family mail me a SCPH-10000 back in april 2000 disguised in some tea set box and shi. ooo i was the coolest cat in my street ;):lol:

I only had like three games, KESSEN,Tekken Tag,and Ridge Racer V.

all that mattered was i had the ps2 and that was that.

sigh*... youth

Don't get me wrong Sega was a great console developer....The genesis and snes wars were the best....Sonic and Mario became Videogame Idols....

But when it came to marketing and business practises Sega failed big time and that cost them....

No, no my friend. Their marketing was great.

9.9.99. Who could forget that? I mean, they DID have a marketing campaign. Only problem is that Sony used its big bucks to start talk of the PS2 WAAAAYYYYYY earlier than SEGA expected.

Thus people were like "Hey, I have a PS right now. I should buy the second one because it is soooooooo way better than DC!" That is what happened.

SEGA was just at the wrong place at the wrong time. If the PS2 would have come out 1 year later, SEGA would most positively be making consoles still. It is just that people were ingulfed in all the hoop-la over PS2 that they didn't bother seeing the greatness of the DC.

Anon.

Thus people were like "Hey, I have a PS right now. I should buy the second one because it is soooooooo way better than DC!" That is what happened.

SEGA was just at the wrong place at the wrong time. If the PS2 would have come out 1 year later, SEGA would most positively be making consoles still. It is just that people were ingulfed in all the hoop-la over PS2 that they didn't bother seeing the greatness of the DC.

Anon.

agreed sony and all the video games rags made the ps2 with hype. mostly unfounded. remember all those promises? all those tech demos? all crap. what did we get? empty shelves and fantavision. heheh thats why I don't get exited about tech demos and press releases any more. it's gonna be 80% crap anyways. I should dig up some of the crap sony said before launch, all that emotion engine stuff.

I just picked up gt4:prologue and I must say I am not impressed. PGR2, hell even midnightclub looks better. sony fanboys flame all you want but if it weren't for smackdown, GGX2 and Macross I wouldn't play my ps2 at all right now.  before anyone spazzes out I've got all the systems exept GC, I had one but sold it after I beat zelda and metroid.

Wonder why it turns you off. The game has more added realism and they rebuilt the engine again, which looks slick, and GT3 wasn't perfect either. Compared to most other racing games, GT is the best out of all with that few successors. If you can find another game with that much realism and great graphics for the PS2(mind you, pushing the graphical limits of the PS2 and keeping it at 60FPS most of the time) at the same time, go ahead. Most of the car specs were wrong. GGXX could be the worst 2D fighting game ever now. I've started hating it since I went into spectucal detail about Sammy/Arc Systems once. I am never doing that again.

No, no my friend. Their marketing was great.

9.9.99. Who could forget that? I mean, they DID have a marketing campaign. Only problem is that Sony used its big bucks to start talk of the PS2 WAAAAYYYYYY earlier than SEGA expected.

No, you are not going back far enough. Sega's downfall started with the Sega CD and 32x. Both were doomed to fail because they were add-ons and they had crap advertising to boot. Then came the Saturn. It came out with very little advertising. I didn't even know the thing was out for a while. Then add on top the ridiculous $400 USD price tag and you have another total failure.

Then comes the PSX (now called PSOne). Excellent system with plenty of games in every conceivable genre. Then the DC comes along (yes, I skipped the N64). It was a well made system with some great games, but the public didn't give a damn anymore. Their confidence in Sega was ruined by the Sega CD, 32x, and Saturn. Sony, on the other hand, had rightfully earned the public trust with the PSOne. Sony revitalized the entire industry with that machine. So, naturally, the DC was doomed by the PS2 hype. Sony had earned the hype, Sega had not. Sad but true. The PS2 started off slowly, but it has proven to be a worthy system over the long haul. Sony will win lead the next generation too because of the PS2.

But this was a guinness world record, you don't get them easily (well actually you do, if you can do something no-one else can do, or at least has thought of getting a world record for, but anyway...) heres what the Guinness World Records site has about highest selling video games:

Best-Selling Video Games

The Nintendo game Super Mario Brothers has sold a total of 40.23 million copies worldwide. The 26 games featuring Mario, the character who first appeared in the arcade game Donkey Kong in 1982, have sold more than 152 million copies in total since 1983. More than 40% of US households own a Nintendo game system

(and the most expensive game to make was Shenume for the dreamcast, costing a whopping $20 million to make, and seven years in development!)

Edited by random guy