Opening Folders Problem

I have a problem which is a pain in the arse, every time i double click on a folder it opens the search window, also when I right click search is at the top of the pop up menu instead of open.

I'm using Windows XP btw, anyone had this problem or know how to fix it? ;)

EDIT: Just realised this should be in the PC Technical Help forum, can a mod move it.

Edited by BobRedthorp

I'll try to explaine better...

to open a folder on your computer you normally double click and it will open, when I do this the search window for that folder opens like this:

search.JPG

And when I right click on the folder these are the options you see, as you can see Search is at the top, but on your computer open will be at the top:

rightclick.JPG

Any suggestions?????

Looks/sounds like you've installed something that has screwed around with your context menu's and reg settings.

Scan for spyware (They often like adding **** to context menus too), viruses and the likes. If all else fails, do a system restore (IF you can, I have it disabled dunno about you)

This isn't something that you can simply change in an XP option, something else has gone and changed it on you.

a quick system restore would fix that. or you can be like me and hunt down the god forsaken registry to remove.

Yeah, I hunted the mutha down, heres how to fix it, just incase anyone else has the problem:

It is a registry problem so to fix it you have to alter your registry settings:

Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe)

Find and click the Default value under the following keys in the registry:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell

Click Modify on the Edit menu.

Type none in the Value data box, and then click OK.

Then exit!

Simple as that, no need for a reinstall!

Edited by BobRedthorp