Need Help About Internet/computer

i think u should just burn all the stuff on ur computer that u need on cd's or back it up to another hard drive. then install ur OS again

A good idea is to press control-alt-delete  then check all the processes that are running and see if they are all meant to be there. When I was tackling some nasty spyware that kept reinstalling itself I did that by just typing every entry into google and seeing if it was a legitimate process. That way I got rid of the problem. I hope this helps.

There is one I suspect. SVCHOST.EXE

Do you all have SVCHOST.EXE?

Edit: I forgot to say thanks to all of you, and if you have more suggestions, feel free to tell me.

Thats a windows process, its important.

Check out www.Blackviper.com if you want to know how to rid of most of them (most of them, since you need like 2 just for windows alone)

SVCHOST just appeared in my Tempo file, and my AVG say that there is a virus "Dialer" and I went to delete the SVCHOST. And since you few said that SVCHOST is important, then why is there a virus? One more thing, I think I don't want to restart the whole computer, it's troublesome.

if u only need 2 SVCHOST and i have 5 then i can delete the others?

3's for system

1's for Local service

the other 1's for Network Service

Windows starts up as many instances of SVCHOST as it needs to manage the loads of certain application/network/etc needs. If you have 5 processes running, you more than likely have several different application types running (Be it up on the desktop, or from the systray) file sharing between networked PCs enabled and possibly other users logged into the same PC at the same time.

SVCHOST running 5 times isn't 5 different files, it's 5 processes using that same file (Only 1) so no you can't delete it.

SVCHOST just appeared in my Tempo file, and my AVG say that there is a virus "Dialer" and I went to delete the SVCHOST. And since you few said that SVCHOST is important, then why is there a virus? One more thing, I think I don't want to restart the whole computer, it's troublesome.

Well..there was a virus name after it as svchost.exe. The only way I THINK to find out if it's really a virus is to press to see if the User Name for the file is "YourPCName". If it's assigned to that for svchost.exe, you have a virus. Since the REAL svchost.exe is supposed to be under either LOCAL SERVICE or NETWORK SERVICE. The way to check this or the way I check this is by pressing CTRL+ALT+DELETE and the Windows Task Manager pops up for Windows XP.

However.. are you also upgrading your spyware definitions for AdAware?

Get the latest definitions @ http://download.com if your not sure and do a scan again.

Very good advice there Gamecop.

ANY System process found running as a User process, is generally something that shouldn't be there. A virus or spyware.

If you didn't start the process yourself (starting up an app), it's not something run from your Startup folder or listed in MSCONFIG under "Startup" and it's running under your username, there is a good bet that A: It doesn't need to be running B: Something installed it for you and is running it under your username via a registry key on startup.

It's a good idea to go through your MSCONFIG every month (Even more if you like) and check for items there that shouldn't be there. Use a registry cleaning tool, and spy ware scanner.

Of course, before deleting/disabling ANYTHING, look up the file with your fav search engine to find out what it is, because it could very well be something you DO need.

I think I know what's doing these, MyWebSearch. There's a folder in Program Files, and it's undeleteable, I'll go to that Force Delete thread and see if I can delete things on MyWebSearch.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...