Self-destructing Dvds...wtf

ForceX

Walt Disney Co. created a new kind of DVDs which self-destruct 48 hours after it's opening. The self-destructing EZ-D DVDs, developed by privately held Flexplay Technologies, quit playing 48 hours after they are opened as a chemical reacts with air, obscuring the tracks on the disc so a laser cannot read them. It's a good thing for video club, since they won't have to bother about customers bringing back videos anymore.

The only bad point of this is the waste of discs it will create, but Disney sayd it had a recycling program. So far, this DVD is only available in Florida, but the trial will be expanded to Phoenix, Arizona, San Antonio, Texas, and Denver, Colorado, in April and May.

Imagine having a DVD explode in your Hands.....You could sue Walt Disney Co. for millions :lol:

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is gonna bomb just like that other thing, I forget what it's called, but I remember it had a time release thing like you play a game, you could play it for 5 days and suddenly it wouldn't be accessible anymore.

That was DivX. Yeah, DivX. Not the thing we know now, but some other crap. My friend's sister bought one and she never used it. You had to connect it to the phone so it could dial in to the server and authenticate the disk.

Atleast I'm sure it was called DivX...or something close to it. Someone correct me if my I'm wrong.

Walt Disney Co. created a new kind of DVDs which self-destruct 48 hours after it's opening. The self-destructing EZ-D DVDs, developed by privately held Flexplay Technologies, quit playing 48 hours after they are opened as a chemical reacts with air, obscuring the tracks on the disc so a laser cannot read them. It's a good thing for video club, since they won't have to bother about customers bringing back videos anymore.

The only bad point of this is the waste of discs it will create, but Disney sayd it had a recycling program. So far, this DVD is only available in Florida, but the trial will be expanded to Phoenix, Arizona, San Antonio, Texas, and Denver, Colorado, in April and May.

Imagine having a DVD explode in your Hands.....You could sue Walt Disney Co. for millions :(

Then Give The Dvd's To Military Or Commandos They Dont Need Any Bombs. :-D

Imagine having a DVD explode in your Hands.....You could sue Walt Disney Co. for millions :-D

Then Give The Dvd's To Military Or Commandos They Dont Need Any Bombs. :)

Ha! They'll be like ninjas with CD shurikens. :(

"Take this AOL disk!" *SHING!*

Edited by GryphonKlaw

Imagine having a DVD explode in your Hands.....You could sue Walt Disney Co. for millions :-D

Then Give The Dvd's To Military Or Commandos They Dont Need Any Bombs. :)

Ha! They'll be like ninjas with CD shurikens. :(

"Take this AOL disk!" *SHING!*

AOL...Haw...that made me laugh.

Yeah I heard about this a few months back. The only reason I could see them doing this is a poor attempt to curb piracy. I can't really see video stores doing this for I would think it would cost them a fortune. It would be great for consumers, not having to worry about returns but it would all be dependent on how much the rental would be. Anyways, I think it's a rather pointless but that's just me.