Gamecube Nearly Sold Out In The U.s?

ForceX

Nintendo has just about sold out of its GameCube console in the U.S. and is seeking to bring supplies in from elsewhere.

A spokeswoman for the company told Reuters the system has sold out at about 50 percent of all stores. Nintendo's most recent entry into the console gaming market was released in the U.S. in Nov. 2001 but struggled in the face of heavy competition from Sony and Microsoft.

The company stopped GameCube production at one point due to sagging demand. A number of publishers even shortened or stopped production on GameCube titles. But a price cut on the system to 99 dollars from 149 dollars last September reinvigorated sales.

Reuters says Nintendo has an eye on a 2006 launch for its next-generation system. Sony and Microsoft should also have new hardware by then.

The Gamecube is starting to take off....mainly due to its cheap price and awesome array of games :lol:

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn it! Why couldn't this have happened to DC? WHY??!!  :(

Anon.

I wonder that myself too sometimes. I've only touched a DC once in a gaming convention. There really wasn't much DC advertising in Finland...which was not nice.

Edited by Agozer

What happened to snk realeasing old title for budget prices for the ps1? I remember reading about that and getting excited cuz i thought they might realease samurai showdown and other KOF. I guess that deal is over since they sold thier stuff to playmore.

sega screwed themselves with dc since they decided out of the blue to ditch the saturn too early which a bunch of 3rd parties were making games for it.

when dc came out, a lot of the 3rd parties didn't join especially ea which is the biggest (and had the most hate toward sega) also sales were falling off badly to the fact that games that came out in usa were 40-50 bucks but in japan they were 10-15 bucks!

with ps1 (not ps2) killing them in sales and support in japan (thats where it counts for them to make or break it), sega had no other choice but to quit working on consoles.

if they never ditched the saturn the way they did, dc would be still in the game.

Edited by Prican25

The DC came out in the mist of all the PS2 hype. Since Sega saught the system was doing bad in Japan, the hammered it :) Dreamcast was doing fairly ok in the US, but terrible in Japan. Despite all the 3rd party developers on it.

sega screwed themselves with dc since they decided out of the blue to ditch the saturn too early which a bunch of 3rd parties were making games for it.

when dc came out, a lot of the 3rd parties didn't join especially ea which is the biggest (and had the most hate toward sega) also sales were falling off badly to the fact that games that came out in usa were 40-50 bucks but in japan they were 10-15 bucks!

with ps1 (not ps2) killing them in sales and support in japan (thats where it counts for them to make or break it), sega had no other choice but to quit working on consoles.

if they never ditched the saturn the way they did, dc would be still in the game.

I don't think so. SEGA was getting its throat sliced by Sony. Saturn only made a dent in PS1's money-engraved armor.

So, how do you beat the competition? Release a better console. 9.9.99 (The day I got mine WITH a DC T-Shirt(I have NEVER seen anyone besides me with one)) DC came out.

Hype was good, but hype was even better for the PS2. SEGA was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Oh, and people are idiots at picking things intelligently. The masses were like drones to the PS2 because everybody wanted one "They all must be right if they all want it!"

Anon.

It's because Sega was always trying to put something out really fast. Sega kicked azz in the arcades with all those games in there(i just relized) They were always second hand when it came to graphics and thats what people care about, Plus with the huge successe of the ps1 people were just loyal fans, and but since the DC didnt have the saturn compatabitlity, fans were lucked out in playing old saturn games. I think this is the same kind of thing that is happening to gamecube.

well the case point is sega decided to kill saturn at a time where 3rd parties had games to be released or already being made. some of those games got released only in japan in most cases saturn's version beat ps1's by far with the use of the ram cart.

heres a few that was released in japan on saturn that beat ps1's version:

Marvel Super Heros

Street fighter vs. Xmen

all KOF games

Marvel Super Heros vs. Street fighter

Vampire Savior

Street fighter Zero 3

Edited by Prican25