Problems With Nsrt.

Does anybody know why NRST misses some roms that you have? For example, it misses the Pugsley's (sp?) Quest beta rom, which I do have. It missed mainly SufamiTurbo, BS, and some beta roms. Is it the rom format they're in (i.e. SWC) or what? Thanks in advance.

Edited by StriderSkorpion

Nach tries to keep the database as correct as possible. Are you sure that your roms are good? (i.e. Good Checksum..Checksum = Bad and your rom is funked)...If NSRT fails to detect these roms, you can try fixing or trimming them. The header should not affect anything.

Edited by Agozer

I tried fixing the Addam's Family beta rom, but it couldn't do anything for it. With Super Wildcard Format, it's more than just a different header. SWC roms, unlike SMC and FIG are interleavend (sp?). My roms are also zipped, so that could've prevented it from fixing and they also may have been read only. Are the roms in NRST's database in the GoodSNES database, BTW? Anyways, thanks for the reply.

I tried fixing the Addam's Family beta rom, but it couldn't do anything for it.  With Super Wildcard Format, it's more than just a different header.  SWC roms, unlike SMC and FIG are interleavend (sp?).  My roms are also zipped, so that could've prevented it from fixing and they also may have been read only.  Are the roms in NRST's database in the GoodSNES database, BTW?  Anyways, thanks for the reply.

I'd suggest that you unzip your roms before trying to fix them with NSRT.

The basic rule is that if you want no problems with your roms, always make sure tht the Checksum is good. Interleaved roms should not be a problem for NSRT, but I usually deinterleave all my roms.

The readme.txt file tells you what roms NSRT can fix, it's not an universal fixing tool.

Nach and the authors of GoodSNES work partially in tandem, so their database shouldn't be much different from NSRT's database.

Edited by Agozer

The checksum will be different if the rom it's in SWC since it's interleaved. Are you sure that CRC is how the rom is checked? After all, different headers would also produce different checksums. Technically, the roms should be all right since they were checked by GoodSNES, or I at least assume they were since it was GoodSNES package I downloaded using BitTorrent.

The checksum will be different if the rom it's in SWC since it's interleaved.  Are you sure that CRC is how the rom is checked?  After all, different headers would also produce different checksums.  Technically, the roms should be all right since they were checked by GoodSNES, or I at least assume they were since it was GoodSNES package I downloaded using BitTorrent.

CRC is the ultimate authentification method. There's no way around that fact.

Yes CRC is the way to authenticate roms, but different CRCs would need to be calculated for each rom format. The only way around that would be to calculate a roms CRC minus the header and reverse (or something like that) for SWC, if possible. If it had the CRC for each rom type, that would definately bloat up the program.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I guess it calculates the CRC the same way uCON64 does. Anyways, the problem was the rom for the Pugsley's Scavenger Hunt beta as its CRC changed from version 3 to 3.1. Another problem was that the some of the BS roms were double their actual size. NSRT wouldn't do anything because it didn't look like an overdump. Also, the ST roms had the BIOS attached and it wouldn't detect that either. Had to either cut the end half (for the BS roms) or two thirds of the beginning (for the ST roms). The other roms were just overdumped. I'm still having problems with it detecting the Super Pro Fighter Q+ BIOS, although it may be correct (dunno).

Speaking of NSRT, have you found a dump of WWF Super Wrestlemania (J) that it could detect? Going by the CRC in SNES dat for uCON64, the roms I keep encountering are wrong. Also, uCON64 has problems detecting what type of rom it is (system), which right away tells me something's fubar with it.

Speaking of NSRT, have you found a dump of WWF Super Wrestlemania (J) that it could detect?  Going by the CRC in SNES dat for uCON64, the roms I keep encountering are wrong.  Also, uCON64 has problems detecting what type of rom it is (system), which right away tells me something's fubar with it.

I haven't really looked into that yet, but check

Who knows, you might score a bullseye.

Edited by alexis