The Oscars Discussion

Gryph

As expected, The Lord of the Rings totally 0wn3d everything. It won everything it was nominated for.

I predicted most of the winners correctly. I should have put some money on it, I would have cleaned up. ;)

I don't think Renée Zellweger should have won for best supporting actress. That woman from The House of Sand and Fog was much better. Oh well, that squinty eyed biatch won. :D That was the only award I had some beef with, but other than that it was cool.

And they honored Blake Edwards which was awesome. He is the director of some of my favorite movies like The Pink Panther and other movies with Peter Sellers.

And Billy Crystal was pretty funny, so it wasn't that bad.

Here are the winners:

ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE

Sean Penn

MYSTIC RIVER

ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE

Tim Robbins

MYSTIC RIVER

ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE

Charlize Theron

MONSTER

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE

Renée Zellweger

COLD MOUNTAIN

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM

FINDING NEMO

Andrew Stanton

ART DIRECTION

THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING

Grant Major (Art Direction); Dan Hennah and Alan Lee (Set Decoration)

CINEMATOGRAPHY

MASTER AND COMMANDER: THE FAR SIDE OF THE WORLD

Russell Boyd

COSTUME DESIGN

Ngila Dickson and Richard Taylor

DIRECTING

Peter Jackson

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE

THE FOG OF WAR

Errol Morris and Michael Williams

DOCUMENTARY SHORT SUBJECT

CHERNOBYL HEART

Maryann DeLeo

FILM EDITING

Jamie Selkirk

FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM

THE BARBARIAN INVASIONS

Canada

Directed by Denys Arcand

HONORARY AWARD

HONORARY AWARD

Blake Edwards

MAKEUP

Richard Taylor

Peter King

MUSIC (SCORE)

Howard Shore

MUSIC (SONG)

"Into the West"

Music and Lyric by Fran Walsh and Howard Shore and Annie Lennox

BEST PICTURE

Barrie M. Osborne, Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh

SHORT FILM (ANIMATED)

HARVIE KRUMPET

Adam Elliot

SHORT FILM (LIVE ACTION)

TWO SOLDIERS

Aaron Schneider and Andrew J. Sacks

SOUND EDITING

MASTER AND COMMANDER: THE FAR SIDE OF THE WORLD

Richard King

SOUND MIXING

Christopher Boyes, Michael Semanick, Michael Hedges and Hammond Peek

VISUAL EFFECTS

Jim Rygiel, Joe Letteri, Randall William Cook and Alex Funke

WRITING (ADAPTED SCREENPLAY)

Screenplay by Fran Walsh, Philippa Boyens & Peter Jackson

WRITING (ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY)

LOST IN TRANSLATION

Written by Sofia Coppola

Edited by GryphonKlaw

I don't think Renée Zellweger should have won for best supporting actress. That woman from The House of Sand and Fog was much better. Oh well, that squinty eyed biatch one.

I thought so as well too. I saw the movie myself and her acting, Shoreh (I think that's how you spell it) acted so real, especially when she cried and stuff in the movie. It was really freaky how some international actors can act like that, so precise, and actually make the audience believe it. I saw her on Larry King Live and the story she put up and how she got here was simply amazing. I've watched a lot of movies and she should have definately won it.

As for Bill Murray, it doesn't look like he's going to be in another movie ever again. ;) It looked like he was going to explode when Sean Penn won best actor. I hope Bill Murray does act again though, but he has really changed from back then.

I thought so as well too. I saw the movie myself and her acting, Shoreh (I think that's how you spell it) acted so real, especially when she cried and stuff in the movie. It was really freaky how some international actors can act like that, so precise, and actually make the audience believe it. I saw her on Larry King Live and the story she put up and how she got here was simply amazing. I've watched a lot of movies and she should have definately won it.

As for Bill Murray, it doesn't look like he's going to be in another movie ever again. ;) It looked like he was going to explode when Sean Penn won best actor. I hope Bill Murray does act again though, but he has really changed from back then.

Yeah, Shoreh! That's her name. You'll be surprised at the foreign talent. A lot of the actresses nominated were Austrialian this time. :D But yeah, there's a huge pool of great talent from abroad that needs to be discovered. But Shoreh was just so damn powerful in that role and most people were expecting her to win but I guess it just wasn't to be. Hopefully she will act in more American movies so we can see more of her. She's quite attractive for her age :). Is it just me, or is Renée Zelwegger just not that good looking?

And Bill Murray's expression was so sad...I felt so bad for him. He looked like he was going to cry. I do think that Sean Penn deserved it for his intense psychologically stressing scenes. Wow those were intense. But Bill Murray has been around and now he's in more serious comedic roles (ie. Rushmore, The Royal Tenebaums, The Life Aquatic, and Lost In Translation) He will probably act again just to get an award :) Aw man he looked so depressed...I feel bad for him.

Edited by GryphonKlaw

I didn't think that LotR winning best picture was predictable. Fantasy and sci-fi movies barely ever win the major awards at the Oscars - people seem to turn their noses up to them just because of their imaginative content. I was pleasantly surprised.

But I still think that the last two LotR movies relied too much on special effects and over the top battle scenes, rather than story, which was what made Tolkien's novels so special. I guess that's why I was pessimistic about Return of the King's chances at success too.

But Bill Murray has been around and now he's in more serious comedic roles (ie. Rushmore, The Royal Tenebaums, The Life Aquatic, and Lost In Translation).

Unfortunatly, Life Aquatic isn't released yet. They are still filming it. =D So he'll be in more movies, as long as Wes Anderson is around and directing.

No Matrix movies were even nominated this year. Fascinating. :lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol: the sequels sucked only the original was oscar worthy. i felt sorry for bill murray but if you think about it, him and sean penn are due for an oscar (watch sean in I Am Sam, that was some damn good acting).

odd how a ghostbuster and spicoli actually became better actors hehe

Edited by Prican25

But Bill Murray has been around and now he's in more serious comedic roles (ie. Rushmore, The Royal Tenebaums, The Life Aquatic, and Lost In Translation).

Unfortunatly, Life Aquatic isn't released yet. They are still filming it. =D So he'll be in more movies, as long as Wes Anderson is around and directing.

Well yeah. I took the liberty to assume that his role will be a serious comedic one based on his other Wes Anderson collaborations. I can't wait for it, Wes Anderson is a great storyteller. And Bull Murray is just hiliarious.

No Matrix movies were even nominated this year. Fascinating. :lol:

I was hoping Keanu Reeves would atleast be nominated for his role as Neo. That was some great acting! Better than anything Sean Penn could ever do. :lol: