Get Xbox Live/PS2 Broadband To Work With Dialup

Shibathedog

Im not sure where this fits because we dont have an online gaming section *cough* so sorry if im putting it in the wrong place :D

How To Get Xbox Live and PS2 Broadband To Work With Dialup

This is actually very simple, and I'm surprised this method isn't spreading around the internet like crazy.

First, let me clear a few things up for you fan boys/people that think its only broadband for a reason.

IT DOES NOT ruin the gaming experience for anyone else because it lags, the servers are set up in a way where only you will lag, and no one else.

It almost never lags, not joke, there SHOULD be dialup support, Microsoft is just too damn lazy, want proof? ok!

XBOX:

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: NO LAG, EVER

Unreal Championship: NO LAG, unless you are on a slow server with 16 people, I achieved going into a 12 person room, on a good server, with no lag.

Mechassault: NO LAG, EVER

Tetris Worlds: NO LAG, EVER (yeah I know its kind of a bad example, but who cares?)

PS2

Every game I've tested that was Broadband only had no lag (I've tested all of them, no joke) the only problems you run into are if you are on a server that is crappy, a server with lots of people, if their are a lot of people using the headset (the headset doesn't lag Xbox...weird...) or combinations of the above.

Star Wars: The Clone Wars: NO LAG, I played a 16 player game with no lag, the only problems I experienced was with a 16 player game, that was on a crappy server

If you DO experience lag when I said there was none, chances are, you have a crappy connection, or are on a crappy server. If you need a reliable Dial-up account ill E-mail you a user/pass, ONLY ASK FOR ONE IF YOU NEED IT, my email address is Shibathedog@msn.com

Anyway, heres how you do it

What you need:

PS2/Xbox

Network adaptor (if you are on PS2)

PC With Network Card

Crossover Cable (Also known as Patch cable)

Xbox Live Account (If you are on Xbox)

TV/Necessary hookup cables for console/game/other obvious stuff...

I am using Windows XP to do this, if someone knows how to do it with Windows 98 or below, let me know, I haven't used Windows 98 in so long I barely remember anything.

First, hook up your console, take the Crossover cable, put one end in your PC, one end in your Xbox/PS2

Second, Turn on your computer, Dial onto the internet, CLOSE ANY PROGRAMS THAT USE BANDWIDTH, This means AOL instant messenger, MSN instant messenger (if it doesn't let you close it, use CONTROL+ALT+DELETE and close the Process called msmsgs.exe

Third: In the bottom right corner of your Start Bar there should be an icon that looks like 2 computer screens blinking green, (it should not be blinking actually, but it blinks every once in awhile, if its blinking a lot, something is using your bandwidth go back to step 2) Double click on it and a window should come up, click the Properties button and then click the advanced tab. In the Internet Connection Sharing section, check the box (it should actually be the second box down from all the boxes shown) make sure NONE of the other boxes are checked and press OK, you may have to wait a few seconds now, then click close on the other window we opened earlier

Fourth: Turn on your Console, boot into your game, Log onto Xbox Live (for Xbox) or whatever PS2 game your playing, and there you go! It works!

E-mail me and tell me what games you've tested, the amount of lag, what ISP you where using, and other information you have. Shibathedog@msn.com

Edited by Shibathedog

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well man thats a way to connect your xbox to internet that Its opcional, if look in to the web in oficial webs of xbox they gave that optcion to, also works if you play with the program XBconnect, and its better cause its free ehhehehehe!!! the only problem its that thats only works for some games; (check the list in the XBconnect web site).

Like you said this woks only if you don´t have a a crappy connection, or are on a crappy server.

Also works if you use Broandband connextion, if you dont want to disconnect your PC use the connecction for your pc or if you dont want to buy a hub.

sony has started out with dial support but now games are going Broadband only due to speed and lag. TRUST ME, if you have played socom 1 and had ppl on dialup you'll see the lag and it annoys a lot of ppl.

M$ was asking for Broadband when the system was being made so they *expected* ppl that wanted online use to get Broadband.

i have both systems and only bought ps2 online since online use with it is free on all but online rpg's. for M$ live online you need to give up a credit card number in order to sign up and pay either a monthly or yearly fee which sucks to me.

Edited by Prican25

Well man  thats a way to connect your xbox to internet that Its opcional, if look in to the web in oficial webs of xbox they gave that optcion to, also works if you play with the program XBconnect, and its better cause its free ehhehehehe!!! the only problem its that thats only works for some games; (check the list in the XBconnect web site).

Like you said this woks only if you don´t have a a crappy connection, or are on a crappy server.

Also works if you use Broandband connextion, if you dont want to disconnect your PC use the connecction for your pc or if you dont want to buy a hub.

in *theory* it should work, but the problem is they do a bandwidth test as a part of connecting to live, and no dialup connection will pass the test... and like i said, i tried... unless something changed in the past year... works fine with PS2 though...

Uhh just get broadand connection. Im not talkin about just for games........downloads, pages, etc......speed is the future and the future is NOW!

Well the "Future" isn't here for everyone. I can't get broadband in my area.

If anyone has any info on how to use a dialup connection with an Xbox and a PC running Win 98se I would appreciate the info. I don't even mean just for LIVE, I would just like to be connected for Avalaunch updates and other dash features. I was reading up on "Internet Sharing" with Win 98.....but it is all assuming that you are using another PC to share with.

ok for those of you who said Dialup doesnt pass the bandwidth test

Complete Crap

there is no bandwidth test, and have i mention i do this ALMOST EVERY DAY?

it DOES work, i wouldnt post it if it didnt work

I wouldnt have bought a 1 year subscribtion card if it didnt work

and it DOESNT lag that much, only with certain games.

Dont beleive me? Fine, im going to make a video of me doing it, upload it to my webserver, and you can see me play lagless