What do you do for a living?

Gryph

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thraxen, I'm a microbiology major right now but am going to switch to the Pre-Med focus. Do you do research in lab, teach, or do field work?

Sorry about the delayed answer, forgot to check back with this thread. I work at the corporate lab for a large food producer. My position is officially supposed to be mostly field work. Most of our production facilites have small on-site labs for basic aerobic plate count, E. coli, Staphylococcus, and yeast/mold testing. They cut and ship samples to the corporate lab for pathogen and pesticide residue testing. I travel to these labs and audit the protocols (i.e. make sure they doing everything correctly). I am also responsible for traveling to any facility that begins to have problems with elevated microbial counts or positive pathogen results to help them stop the problem... this usally involves trying to locate any harborage where the bacteria are likely living.

BUT I have done much less of this in the last year due to a large volume of research projects happening at the corporate lab. Right now I am mostly helping conduct the projects. Most of the projects relate to new anti-microbial treatments that can be used in production facilites.

Thraxen, I'm a microbiology major right now but am going to switch to the Pre-Med focus. Do you do research in lab, teach, or do field work?

Sorry about the delayed answer, forgot to check back with this thread. I work at the corporate lab for a large food producer. My position is officially supposed to be mostly field work. Most of our production facilites have small on-site labs for basic aerobic plate count, E. coli, Staphylococcus, and yeast/mold testing. They cut and ship samples to the corporate lab for pathogen and pesticide residue testing. I travel to these labs and audit the protocols (i.e. make sure they doing everything correctly). I am also responsible for traveling to any facility that begins to have problems with elevated microbial counts or positive pathogen results to help them stop the problem... this usally involves trying to locate any harborage where the bacteria are likely living.

BUT I have done much less of this in the last year due to a large volume of research projects happening at the corporate lab. Right now I am mostly helping conduct the projects. Most of the projects relate to new anti-microbial treatments that can be used in production facilites.

Ah cool. I hate doing Aerobic Plate Count. I always have to dilute like 12 times! It's horrible. I wish we could just use the Coulter counter method. Let the machine do all the counting. ;)

Umm Full TIME College Student working on B.F.A. Bach of fine art

... no job

... playing guitar / working on my voice / writing songs / leading my band Apracafé

fine lover to my fiancée Kimberly

ummm, and i forget what else but yeah whatever ;)

Edited by -VIOLENCE-

CS Student, Factory worker in the summer (gotta pay for college somehow...)

My roomie probably has the most interesting occupation I can think of:

Drug Dealer ;)

I have a B.B.A in Marketing. Havent put it to much use though. I work in a Bakery (Breads, Cookies, Pies, Pastries, Mexican Pastries, etc).

Its like 2 different worlds........what i do for a living and what i do for fun. Kinda makes feel like batman or somethin. lol

Slowly...these questions are becoming private...

....or is it just me? there was the 'how old are you?' question, 'where do ya live?'

question...and now 'what do you do for a living?' question...

oh yeah, 'where are you from?' also counts...

soon people will be asking 'what colour underwear are you wearing?' and people

will not hesitate to say 'none!'

....or is it just me?